View Full Version : Using onClick event to go to another page

abacus
08-10-2004, 05:00 PM
I hope someone can help with the difficulty I'm having moving from one page to the next.

My problem is with the onClick event. If I preface the event with a call to the function (as per the code snippet below); and the function returns a true, then the window.location doesn't execute (the same as if the function returns a false).

If I preface the onClick event with the window.location, i.e.
onClick="window.location='devSimpleForm.asp?cmdAction=ptoTest&employee=' + document.form1.employee.value"; return empSelected(this) >

the function call is still executed, but, even with a False, the new page (devSimpleForm.asp) still loads & runs.

I already have a 'submit' button used to open a different page, so I seem to be stuck with the onClick event handler.

Can anyone help so that a 'false' won't load/run the next page, and a 'true' will? :confused:

function empSelected(objForm) {

if (form1.employee.value == "") {
alert("You must choose an employee!")
form1.employee.focus()
return false
}
alert("We're being returned with TRUE")
return true
}//-----------------------------

<input type="button" name="test" value="Simple Form"
onMouseover="window.status='Click for test'; return true"
onMouseOut="window.status=' '; return true"
onClick="return empSelected(this); window.location='devSimpleForm.asp?cmdAction=ptoTest&employee=' + document.form1.employee.value" >

sad69
08-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Alter your onClick handler to include an if statement:

onClick="if(empSelected(this)) { window.location='devSimpleForm.asp?cmdAction=ptoTest&employee=' + document.form1.employee.value; }"

Sadiq.

abacus
08-10-2004, 08:17 PM
:D

Beaucoup Thanx! SAD69

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum