View Full Version : Using .asp

08-16-2002, 07:21 PM
What kind of program would one use to make .asp?

I currently just own Dreamweaver MX, and well now I cant afford anything else for a while...

Other programs that I do have are Office XP (Complete rip off seeing as it is almost identical to 2k) and notepad...

I went to the macromedia site and looked at 'coldfusion'. Is it any good? And if I can use it to make .asp, will it work on a PII 343, 320mb ram, 62.4 gig hard drive. I think that is all the system specs that I think a software should need... If I cant use it for .asp just ignore it and let me know it is a waste of money.

All suggestions welcome.

Visit my site!

www.ionsurge.com (http://www.ionsurge.com)

08-18-2002, 03:18 AM
I personally use HTML-KIT or NotePad. You don't need anything special at all to *write* ASP code, it's just text! - ColdFusion is something else altogether and has nothing to do with ASP... to make an .asp file all you do is write in VBScript (or javascript server-side) and save the file with an .asp extension.

You can use pretty much any text/scripting editor you want to make an .asp app.

08-18-2002, 06:14 PM
i would recommend learning how to write it yourself. Programs are nice for spitting out a layout. but they can't handle server side very well at all. They also automaticly change your text this is not helpful at all when you are trying to code.

08-19-2002, 12:08 PM
Thanx all, I guess learning asp is something that can be really useful.

08-19-2002, 02:07 PM
like i mentioned in a few other threads : search for mse.exe (if you have office 2000 instelled) It's a free editor that's perfect for writing ASP's, and it has a great VB and Jscript helpfunction. Try it, and you'll see it has some advantages to other editors.