PDA

View Full Version : changing the "selected" option in select box based on referred page

AshleyQuick
07-20-2004, 06:42 PM
<select size="1" name="Fruits" id="choice">
<option value="Apples" selected>Apples</option>
<option value="Bananas">Bananas</option>
<option value="Grapes">Grapes</option>
<option value="Oranges">Oranges</option>
<option value="Strawberries">Strawberries</option>
</select>

Is there a way to have "Grapes" selected if coming from a specified page...say grapes.asp?

Ash

oracleguy
07-20-2004, 06:52 PM
Yep.

<option value="Apples" selected>Apples</option>
<option value="Bananas">Bananas</option>
<option value="Grapes"

<% if Instr(LCase(Request.ServerVariables("HTTP_REFERER")), "grapes.asp")<>0 Then %>

selected="1"
<% End If %>
>Grapes</option>
<option value="Oranges">Oranges</option>
<option value="Strawberries">Strawberries</option>
</select>

angst
07-20-2004, 06:53 PM
could use something like this:

<option value="Apples" <% if request("Fruits")="Apples" then response.write "selected" end if%>>Apples</option>
<option value="Bananas" <% if request("Fruits")="Bananas" then response.write "selected" end if%>>Bananas</option>
<option value="Grapes" <% if request("Fruits")="Grapes" then response.write "selected" end if%>>Grapes</option>
<option value="Oranges" <% if request("Fruits")="Oranges" then response.write "selected" end if%>>Oranges</option>
<option value="Strawberries" <% if request("Fruits")="Strawberries" then response.write "selected" end if%>>Strawberries</option>
</select>

Ted Varnson
08-28-2004, 03:01 PM
How could I code something that would allow me to have "page.asp?option=Ecology of The Texas Hill Country"

Which would make the fied with that value the selected field?

Morgoth
08-28-2004, 10:39 PM
How could I code something that would allow me to have "page.asp?option=Ecology of The Texas Hill Country"

Which would make the fied with that value the selected field?

Well, first off you need to know that in page.asp?option=Ecology
option is a QueryString, and the QueryString equals "Ecology"

So on any page all you have to do is ask for the QueryString.
Variable = Request.QueryString("option")

Some people also have touble with this because this is an unsecure way of transporting variables from one page to the next, but it still is a good way. Just make sure what should be in the QueryString can't be changed to hurt you and your code.

When you send numbers with a QueryString you're numbers are now strings, and much be changed back into integers, or doubles or what ever they were to begin with.
Variable = Int(Request.QueryString("option"))

Page.asp?Apples=selected&Bananas=selected&Grapes=selected&Oranges=selected&Strawberries=selected

To keep it on one line I used code tags.

Now let's read the QueryString:

<option value="Apples" <%=Request.QueryString("Apples")%>>Apples</option>
<option value="Bananas" <%=Request.QueryString("Bananas")%>>Bananas</option>
<option value="Grapes" <%=Request.QueryString("Grapes")%>>Grapes</option>
<option value="Oranges" <%=Request.QueryString("Oranges")%>>Oranges</option>
<option value="Strawberries" <%=Request.QueryString("Strawberries")%>>Strawberries</option>
</select>

The QueryString doesn't need to be "selected" but this just makes the code smaller, without having to write if statements.

BuddhaMan
08-29-2004, 03:46 AM
Just a side question here.

According to his original post, he's trying to pass a query string with spaces in it. My question is, if a coder need to do that, do you need to convert the spaces to "%20" ?

Is the top or bottom example the way to do it?

<option value="Apples" <%=Request.QueryString("Ecology of The Texas Hill Country")%>>Apples</option>

<option value="Apples" <%=Request.QueryString("Ecology%20of%20The%20Texas%20Hill%20Country")%>>Ecology Dept</option>

oracleguy
08-29-2004, 08:33 PM
Is the top or bottom example the way to do it?

<option value="Apples" <%=Request.QueryString("Ecology of The Texas Hill Country")%>>Apples</option>

<option value="Apples" <%=Request.QueryString("Ecology%20of%20The%20Texas%20Hill%20Country")%>>Ecology Dept</option>

Neither:

<option value="Apples" <%=Request.QueryString("option")%>>Apples</option>

And as for putting values with spaces in, you can just use the Server.URLEncode() method to automatically convert all the characters so that they will go through the URL fine.