View Full Version : Can you Reload a specific Frame?

peterinwa
07-12-2004, 08:36 PM
After two years working on it and posting here, I learned out how to conditionally load a .js file. That works fine now.

To change the .js file (which is a database), however, I have to Reload the entire page and in doing so I lose what's in memory... the status of too many variables to save in a cookie.

Just got this hairbrain idea... could I just Reload a single Frame?

That way I could load a different .js file (database) into that Frame (which would not display on the user's screen) and access the new data in that Frame from the Frame I am working in. This Frame would be used only to load a new database.

This Frame would contain a function to Reload itself, and I would call this function from the Frame I am working in (which would not Reload). Before calling the function, I would write a cookie so that when the Frame reloaded the cookie would tell it which database to load.

I suppose this is all wrong and that you can only Reload the whole page... but I keep trying. I've been working on the idea of loading a different .js file without losing what's in memory for about a year now.

Thanks, Peter

gohankid77
07-12-2004, 09:10 PM
Yeah, you can if it's one page in the frame. Try this:

<script type="text/javascript">
<!--
function reloadWin() {
window.location.reload();
}
// -->
</script>

Just add that into the page that you want to reload. As for several pages, I have no idea.

glenngv
07-13-2004, 06:53 AM
To reload a frame from another frame:

top.frames['nameOfTargetFrame'].location.reload();

peterinwa
07-15-2004, 11:37 PM
Thanks, it's working great.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum