View Full Version : Im kinda new to ASP, I have but one question... How would I....

07-12-2004, 05:21 AM
How would I make it so that this query would be run every day at midnight:
UPDATE Users SET Karma = Karma + 1

thanks in advance for any help

07-12-2004, 05:59 AM
Create a VB application and schedule its execution in the Windows Scheduled Tasks.

07-12-2004, 07:14 PM
That would work if I was hosting my own server. The problem is that im using another free server that supports ASP for hosting.

Would there be any way to do it through an ASP page?

Roy Sinclair
07-12-2004, 10:28 PM
There's no way to automatically run an ASP page at a specific time of the day but that shouldn't stop you. Try using a computed field instead. First you need a date for "0 karma", then all you need to is compute the difference between that date and today. The value from that computation will automatically increase by 1 each day.

07-13-2004, 03:18 AM
You can also run an ASP page in the Scheduled Tasks of your machine. Just choose Internet Explorer and add the URL of asp page in the parameter for IEXPLORE.EXE. See sample below:

Run: C:\PROGRA~1\INTERN~1\IEXPLORE.EXE "http://myhost.com/myname/autoupdate.asp"

The problem with that is you need to make your pc available every midnight.

07-13-2004, 04:26 AM
well, i was able to get it. I used it to make the difference in days between the account creation date and the current date, as someone else said above.

Thanks for the help!