View Full Version : javascript load files

ernie
07-11-2004, 08:27 AM
Hi i was wondering if there was any way that when a user comes to my website that i can make a file run on their computer, its basically a joke site for me to test out on some friends but i really have no clue how to go about this.
Like when they click on the enter button on my site id like to be able to change their winamp skin, or make any other program on their computer open up, im not sure if this can be done with javascript or if it has to be done in VBscript, any help would be appreciated even if its a link to another tutorial.

coothead
07-11-2004, 10:32 AM
Like when they click on the enter button on my site id like to be able to change their winamp skin,
or make any other program on their computer open up
Come on ernie - you are joking of course :rolleyes:

Vincent Puglia
07-11-2004, 05:18 PM
Hi coothead :)

Ernie:

As coothead so nicely implied, it's not a good idea. However, in the interest of expanding your knowledge...

1) javascript, in and of itself, has no 'hooks' to the user's machine other than html's 'type=file', which is used for uploading to your site.

2) the only access available is through activeX components and before they execute on a user's system, a 'should I...' dialog is executed. If you are interested:
a) read everything on msdn.microsoft.com on activeX.
b) purchase a few books on activeX.
c) write your script, post it, and I or someone else will tell you why it won't work.

Vinny

coothead
07-11-2004, 05:35 PM
Hi there Vinny,

It's a great honour to be in the same thread as you again :)

coot

Vincent Puglia
07-11-2004, 05:50 PM
yeah, right :cool: ;)

Vinny

gohankid77
07-11-2004, 08:48 PM
This kind of invades people's privacy however and many people that see a "Should I..." dialog tend to think that site is bad.

Vincent Puglia
07-11-2004, 09:20 PM
Hi gohankid,

True. and that is why the dialog appears -- to inform people of the possibility of a dangerous download.

Vinny

Willy Duitt
07-11-2004, 09:36 PM
Hi i was wondering if there was any way that when a user comes to my website that i can make a file run on their computer, its basically a joke site for me to test out on some friends but i really have no clue how to go about this.
Like when they click on the enter button on my site id like to be able to change their winamp skin, or make any other program on their computer open up, im not sure if this can be done with javascript or if it has to be done in VBscript, any help would be appreciated even if its a link to another tutorial.

Send me an email to: willyduitt@hotmail.com
So I can grab your IP# from the headers and I'll place something onto your PC and then you can come back and tell us how you liked it.....

.....Willy :D

coothead
07-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Hi there Willy,

I am eagerly awaiting ernie's response :D
I hope that your offered deposit will be brown and steaming :)

coot

jbot
07-12-2004, 10:48 AM
ernie, what you've asked for is a lesson in hacking.

do you really think that, as mostly pro web developers, we're gonna abandon all professionalism and show you techniques to hijack another user's computer?

we've only got your word that those other users are friends of your's. there's no way on earth to corroborate that. so, why should we trust and help you when you're wanting to do something potentially illegal.

think you need to get a life, pal. if you really want to impress you're friends, produce some highly ingenious DHTML that when they visit your site, elements move about your page, or delete other elements, etc. however, hacking other computers is outta the question.

hey, mods, think we need to close this thread pronto!!

gohankid77
07-13-2004, 04:28 AM
Why are we [edit]? Like jbot said:

ernie, what you've asked for is a lesson in hacking.

do you really think that, as mostly pro web developers, we're gonna abandon all professionalism and show you techniques to hijack another user's computer?

we've only got your word that those other users are friends of your's. there's no way on earth to corroborate that. so, why should we trust and help you when you're wanting to do something potentially illegal.

Hacking is illegal. Governments hire hackers to keep other hackers out. What better way is there to keep your files safe? It's like one of those old sayings: it takes a thief to catch a thief. If you want to learn how to hack, you won't learn here. Find a hacker to teach you.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum