View Full Version : How do I get rid of the annoying clicks

NL_Fred
07-05-2004, 08:57 PM
Hello,

Internet explorer gives an annoying click everytime a page is loaded. So if I use an iframe page which refreshes every 5 seconds there is a click every 5 seconds.

I know I can stop this clicking by updating my sound settings but is it possible to prevent clicking somehow for the visitors of my website?

neofibril
07-05-2004, 09:24 PM
Try embedding subliminal messages in the page that would induce visitors to change their sound settings.

DooM_MonkeY
07-06-2004, 02:12 AM
Or instead of going <a href=""> go <a onclick="window.location='';">

NL_Fred
07-06-2004, 12:57 PM
It is a page that automatically refreshes every 5 seconds so that is not an option I think

jbot
07-06-2004, 01:22 PM
Try embedding subliminal messages in the page that would induce visitors to change their sound settings.

as the man says, this a system setting and not really anything you can affect.

just imagine the havoc you could wreak if you could tho ... hmmm, not very pleasant tot the end user, and something akin to hacking methinks.

besides, if you hadn't had your machine set up to use system sounds you wouldn't have noticed. and there's the crix of it - it's all down to what the user has. so, just because you've got it doesn't mean to say anyone else has, and, of course, vice versa.

NL_Fred
07-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Okay,

I'll leave it this way then.

Meanwhile a was wondering if a rpc kind of solution could help. Say if a javascript applications was calling a server script every 5 seconds and would update another iframe if needed... or is this a little to complex to do?

jbot
07-06-2004, 01:44 PM
Okay,

Meanwhile a was wondering if a rpc kind of solution could help. Say if a javascript applications was calling a server script every 5 seconds and would update another iframe if needed... or is this a little to complex to do?

to help wot? get rid of the clicking?

prolly not. but JSRS (wot you've essentially decsribed) is good for Rich UI apps.

NL_Fred
07-06-2004, 01:56 PM
to help wot? get rid of the clicking?

prolly not. but JSRS (wot you've essentially decsribed) is good for Rich UI apps.

Why do you think there is a (hidden) iframe page that refreshes every 5 seconds. Just for fun?

What it does is checking if there is someting new to display in another iframe. if so, then it reloads the other iframe.

I tought maybe I could do this with a rpc kind of solution.... but if that is a silly thought let me know.

jbot
07-06-2004, 02:03 PM
I tought maybe I could do this with a rpc kind of solution....

not actually sure wot you mean by RPC ... is that like RMI?

*RPC: Remote Procedure Call? yes?

then not silly at all. give it a go :)

NL_Fred
07-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Yep, the remote thing.

I'll do that it will be a new challenge for me!! :p

DooM_MonkeY
07-06-2004, 06:23 PM
It is a page that automatically refreshes every 5 seconds so that is not an option I think

Oh I'm sorry, I didnt read the whole question, yea I guess that won't work then will it :confused:

Roy Sinclair
07-07-2004, 08:27 PM
You might want to try hiding the iframe to see if it still clicks onload. If it doesn't click you could try copying the content to a visible iframe after the hidden one refreshes.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum