View Full Version : CHALLENGE: The 2004 summer challenge

liorean
06-11-2004, 05:38 PM
In an hour I'll be gone for the most of the summer, but before then, I challenge all JavaScript experts here with something that will be more than a little tricky:

Your reference for this will be The Unlambda Programming Language (http://www.eleves.ens.fr:8080/home/madore/programs/unlambda/).

Unlambda is a small language with a deciviously simple looking set of commands. It's a purely functional language (purely functional not in the sense of Haskell, but in the sense of the fact that the only constructs in it are functions) without a lambda expression.

So, my challenge is the following

Create a function constructor which:
- Takes an Unlambda 2 program as a single string argument
- Returns a function

The returned function must:
- Execute the Unlambda program when run
- Take a string argument to simulate STDIN input, or alternatively prompt the user for input.
- Return an array consisting of the evaluation of the Unlambda program and a string representing the STDOUT output, alternatively returning just the evaluation and instead alerting the output.

SlySecretSpy
06-17-2004, 12:08 AM
And the prize is????

jkd
06-17-2004, 12:42 AM
A sense of achievement.

I'd attempt this, but it's a lot of work for a "useless" script (I use the term loosely)... like a lot of work. It's not a challenge as much as writing an entire interpretter in Javascript.... ugh. Even doing ones for limited subsets of assembly took me way too much time and effort.

liorean
08-24-2004, 09:55 PM
Well, I was hoping to see what you could do, Jason, but oh well. I'm currently rewriting the one I created for performance, but I'll soon post mine.

Roy Sinclair
08-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Welcome back from your summer disconnect :)

liorean
08-25-2004, 10:07 AM
Welcome back from your summer disconnect :)
Thanks. I see you took the chance to pass me in the posting league, just when I had gained a comfortable lead...

Roy Sinclair
08-25-2004, 07:44 PM
I've been very busy this summer or that might have been a huge lead, you're fast though. I expect you'll probably pass me again before next summer.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum