View Full Version : http://stophon4.com

stophon4
06-07-2004, 04:06 PM
OK, I dont need a report the sites that are linked to this site (Well when you go to the site you'll understand). All I really need is a report on the layout of it. I am terrible at designing layouts so critism isn't a problem :o

Note: When I update the layout sometimes everything screws up and looks really weird, so if you see that you know what I'm doing :cool:

http://www.stophon4.com

se4b4ss
06-07-2004, 04:35 PM
overall, i like it, BUT...

1) change the colors. those are too harsh.

2) i like the layout and design, but think some of the borders need work and i personally prefer sans fonts. also, the description window needs some bottom margin (or is it padding?) :confused: :D and the two left windows could be closer together.

3) where is your navigation system?

4) the css code could use a little cleaning up.

regards,
steve

stophon4
06-07-2004, 08:10 PM
1) Yes, the orange background is too extreme, do you have an idea for a better background color?

2)
A) I personally like the borders, and rounded edges are a pain.
B) Sans font?
C) It's spost to be that way, I guess you could call it padding.
D) I guess maybe, a little bit would probably work.

3) Click on the links, that's the naviagation. Though the only good link IMHO is the php guestbook.

4) The code doesn't matter since it isn't visible and it doesn't affect the layout. Though some of that code is part of my next layout update.

Thanks for your time and comments :)

/Stophon4

sidvorak
06-08-2004, 11:14 PM
I've been blinded! :cool: ok...I'm better...Please change the colors...IMEDIATELY! :eek:

I'll look at it again when you swear they're gone...

stophon4
06-09-2004, 03:10 PM
Well that's the problem, what colors do you suggest?
Maybe the background color?

That's the problem I dont know what to change them to...

Edit:
Ok the bgcolor is changed to a grayish greenish color, any better?

se4b4ss
06-09-2004, 03:42 PM
nobody is going to tell you what color scheme to use. you have to browse sites until you find one you like or read tutorials, etc.

mess around on this site link (http://www.pagetutor.com/pagetutor/makapage/picker/) (or link2 (http://www.pixy.cz/apps/barvy/index-en.html)) until you can view your page w/o your retinas bleeding. :D

regards,
steve

stophon4
06-09-2004, 07:08 PM
I cant always tell whether my layouts are good. So probably every time I change it I will need you to tell me if it is any better?

So is it any better now?

sidvorak
06-09-2004, 07:45 PM
Certainly better...Try reducing the number of colors you are using (I counted eight...red link hover, maroon menu header, black text, teal body background, green links, light blue border, darker blue background...)

Also, try to use more muted color tones as they are much easier on the eyes (and mind). I think your main heading color (yellow-orange) and body background colors are good starts. Throw in black and white for free.

Check out some info on color theory (http://www.colormatters.com/colortheory.html). Personally, I like designs that are analogous color palettes. It is also pretty safe to a neutral color with some stronger hue. (everybody knows how nice grey and orange play together.

Here's another color picker (http://slayeroffice.com/tools/color_palette/) to help you along. It is simple to use and produces palettes of several opacity variations on your selected base color.

Cheers,
Simon

se4b4ss
06-09-2004, 07:46 PM
are you asking about the layout or color scheme?

the layout looks ok. i still think you should thin up the borders among other things, but have expressed resistance to those suggestions previously...

with all due respect, the colors are still atrocious. take a good long look at the "link2" i posted earlier. select "monochromatic" at the top, check mark "web colors normal vision" below the color grid, select your base color to the left and adjust the brightness and saturation to your liking. the page will show you the hex colors you should be using...

regards,
steve

stophon4
06-09-2004, 10:41 PM
Well, I am more interested in the colors. I am happy with the colors. But you guys obviously are not. Aright, so why are the colors atrocious and how are they hard on the eyes? Is it the black font against the dark-blue for the news table?

stophon4
06-30-2004, 11:46 PM
Do borders work in any browser besides Internet Explorer?

Because on my site they dont work in anything besides IE.

llizard
07-01-2004, 12:31 PM
Do borders work in any browser besides Internet Explorer?

Because on my site they dont work in anything besides IE.

They do not work in Firefox0.8(Mozilla), NS7.1, Opera7. I didn't look too carefully at the sourcecode but I'm thinking that there are probably coding errors and/or browser incompatibilities. Try running your code through an html and a css checker. I just threw the embedded stylesheet into the validator and glanced at the results. The borders may not be working because you have

border: 5x ridge blue

Change that to border: 5px ridge blue

Validators:
http://www.htmlhelp.org/tools/validator/
http://www.htmlhelp.org/tools/csscheck/

Layout:
Consider using percentages for widths of the tables. This may help to get rid of the horizontal scroll when the page is viewed at 800x600.

I wonder why you have a separate box for "choose a website" (Incidentally the words "choose a website" do not appear in the box when the page is viewed in Firefox. They appear at the top of the page and the "choose a website" box is empty)
I would rather see "Choose a website" in the same box as the list of websites and extend the left hand box to be the same length as the middle box.

The bold link hover in the middle dark blue box makes the box change size when a link is hovered over. Either make link bold as well or remove the bold from the hover.

Colours:
The lime green link against the light blue has a tendency to glare. It makes it very difficult to read. It's okay against the darker blue when it is not bold. In bold, there is that same tendency for the edges of the letters to blur. If you really want green use a darker shade of the same green against the light blue background.

The black text against the darkblue is a little difficult to read. There is not enough contrast. If you want to keep that darkblue background, you may have to move to white or soft yellow text

stophon4
07-01-2004, 09:30 PM
Ok, I had percentages before but they cause problems. I do not understand what you mean about the box extending to the middle of the screen. It sounds like it would look very terrible. Can you explain what you mean a little more?

I can make the websites font-weight normal. (done)

I tried making the font color white. I could barely read it and that's saying something when the black is easy for me.

llizard
07-02-2004, 12:04 AM
Ok, I had percentages before but they cause problems. I do not understand what you mean about the box extending to the middle of the screen. It sounds like it would look very terrible. Can you explain what you mean a little more?

I can't think why the percentages for widths on your tables would cause problems. What is probably really causing problems is coding errors.

I'm not sure I understand your question about the box extending to the middle of the screen.

What I am suggesting is to have three boxes in all. Amalgamate "Please select a website" and "My sites" boxes. Make them the same height as the middle box. Perhaps it would look terrible. But perhaps it would be an improvement as well. YOu'll never know til you try.

On a happy note, the borders are now showing up in Mozilla.

stophon4
07-04-2004, 04:21 PM
In opera the rating table collapses completely? Why does this happen? How can fix it?

llizard
07-05-2004, 02:34 PM
In opera the rating table collapses completely? Why does this happen? How can fix it?

Take a look at:
http://www.quirksmode.org/css/contents.html

stophon4
07-06-2004, 12:36 PM
Ok, thanks I figured out why the "Select a Website" appeared at the top of the screen in browsers besides IE, but I still cannot figure out why in Opera the rating table collapses :o

llizard
07-06-2004, 03:21 PM
I still cannot figure out why in Opera the rating table collapses

Perhaps it has something to do with the fixed widths of the tables. I'm viewing at 800x600 resolution. There is a horizontal scroll on your page in Mozilla. The horizontal scroll still appears in Opera but (I don't know why) the right side of the page that is not in view is just cut off.

At 100% view, there is no rating table. At 90% view on Opera7, the rating table almost shows up - I can see the left edge. At 80% view, the table shows up.

I switched to 1024x768 resolution and the ratings table showed up in Opera.

This is why it might be a good idea to use percentages for the table widths and the positioning. You might also consider getting rid of some of the tables and changing them into divs.

edit:
Stupid IE... you're right, using percentages presents some problems. I altered your coding so that there was a non-scrolling page that looks pretty reasonable in Opera7 and Mozilla but looks ridiculous in IE6.

However, you should be able to get something similar without using fixed widths. Why not ask about this aspect in the css section of these forums?

(typo on your ratings table: 'exellent' should read: excellent)

stophon4
07-06-2004, 04:20 PM
Well you wont beleive what I figured out, I applied the width element to the rating table, and it looks fine now, except you have to scroll to get to it all the way, the reason why this was happening was because opera by default didn't want to apply scrollbars so it used a percentage of waht was left, the percentage was about 5px so it didn't work out, but now that I applied a 150 width to the rating table it looks fine :thumbsup:

Interesting that opera is the only browser that does that ;)

Also I think maybe I could apply percentages with javascript and have them take effect in all browsers but IE. But is it possible to apply percentages with javascript?

llizard
07-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Also I think maybe I could apply percentages with javascript and have them take effect in all browsers but IE. But is it possible to apply percentages with javascript?

I don't know the answer to that - there is probably a way but is it really worth the effort? Have you considered dumping the tables entirely and just using divs and CSS for placement? Whatever you do, unless you are positive that virtually all of your visitors will have a screen resolution higher than 800x600, please revamp the design to eliminate that horizontal scroll.

stophon4
07-15-2004, 03:48 PM
Ok, I decided the old layout had too many problems and was very ugly. So I made a new layout, what do you think of it? Is it any better?

Please give your full honest opinion :p
Thanks in advance.

llizard
07-16-2004, 05:00 AM
I made a new layout, what do you think of it? Is it any better?

Running Win2K. I looked at the page in NS7.01, Firefox, Opera7 and IE6 at 800x600 and 1024x768 resolutions

It's better because it's readable now.

The page still scrolls when viewed at 800x600. And in both resolutions, one has to scroll to see the latest news. I think the overflow stuff is really playing havoc with it. Fire up Netscape to see what I mean. The scrolling 'stophon4.com' is not really visible in Opera because the menu is very very wide but the mudgreen boxes of the latest news are sitting on part of the menu. The turquoise background colour doesn't start until almost the right side of the page - just before the scroll is required if the page is viewed at 800x600

Why don't you get rid of the tables and use divs for formatting the page?

There are typos in your style sheet that are preventing the black border from showing up around the menu and rating section when the page is viewed in Mozilla:

border-right: 2x solid black;

it should read:

border-right: 2px solid black;

In Mozilla, Netscape and Opera, the menu and ratings columns are overlapping a tiny bit over the top div. The footer is overlapping onto the menu.

You might think about removing the underlines from "My Websites/Projects" and "Rate this Site". Maybe it's just me, but I always expect something underlined on a webpage to be a link. It is not at all obvious (to me anyway) that the links on the menu are actually links. Make them stand out as links a bit more - and not just on the hover.

Okay, I think that's enough full honesty for now, don't you?

stophon4
07-16-2004, 01:17 PM
WOW!

I just looked at my website in Opera *shudders*. But for some weird reason when I try to view my website in Netscape and Mozzilla they redirect to lunarpages.com :confused:

But anyway my webpage in opera looked hideous, it didn't come out to well. I think I will model my website mostly off Internet Explorer though, since 96% of the people use it :)

Thankyou very much for your opinion though, it helps alot :thumbsup:

And yes that's a long post :thumbsup:

llizard
07-16-2004, 02:31 PM
I think I will model my website mostly off Internet Explorer though, since 96% of the people use it

Really? You have polled your visitors and know that only 4% do not use IE? If that truly is the case, I suspect that these statistics will remain the same if you continue to work using only IE. Portions of the site are very likely to look pretty terrible in other browsers.

Just in case you see the light and decide to cater to the 4%, take a look at the following sites. They may be of help.

http://www.positioniseverything.net/

http://www.positioniseverything.net/ie-primer.html
http://www.positioniseverything.net/articles/hollyhack.html

http://www.quirksmode.org/

stophon4
07-16-2004, 02:36 PM
I thought I heard that somewhere, sorry and thanks for the links, but now after looking at w3schools chart of browsers the statistics for June 2004 were 80% (http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp).

Thanks for the links again :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum