View Full Version : Making an XHTML template for phpBB

brothercake
06-07-2004, 10:59 AM
I'm working on it at the moment ... but I've had to make quite a lot of small changes to the scripts other than the .tpl files. How would I distribute it as a useable template to others with that being the case - is there some kind of macro mechanism, or a way of writing a mod that would make those changes transparently?

firepages
06-07-2004, 11:26 AM
I dont know (though I doubt) if phpBB has some sort of API for external modifications of the core scripts.

You can distribute a mod that rewrites the scripts in question but then when the user upgrades to a new phpBB version your changes may get overwritten.

I think the best bet might be to approach the phpBB developers to see if they will incorporate your changes , this means your mods will have to be able to handle both scenarios , both your XHTML templates and `regular` ones.

ReadMe.txt
08-27-2004, 12:31 AM
sorry to thread dig, but what ever happened to this?

i'd kinda like to see and use a validating forum. :)

brothercake
08-27-2004, 12:30 PM
I've basically finished, but it's not up and public yet. http://www.brothercake.com/forum/ - feel free to try and break it, or offer any comments or critisicm :)

Unfortunately to make it work I had to hack the underlying PHP scripts quite a lot .. I'm not sure how distributable it really is in the final analysis.. But you're welcome to the source files if you want them.

bcarl314
08-27-2004, 04:14 PM
That is sooo sweet, semantic and accessible with excellent separation of content and data. I don't know why more BB software doesn't jump on this bandwagon. What you've developed allows for easy skin creation, simply change the css and you're done.

Nice job! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

brothercake
08-27-2004, 08:48 PM
Yeah exactly :) Much easier to skin if all you have to do is write a stylesheet - and of course it means that people visiting the forum can reskin it for themselves, no trouble. I guess I should add a stylesheet switcher in there to illustrate the point.

But if there's one thing I've learnt from doing this, it's that to design a properly semantic and accessible forum, it needs to be considered from the start. There are many things I just removed (private messaging, BBCode buttons, avatars) because it was too hectic - too much work to turn it into decent code.

ReadMe.txt
08-28-2004, 12:12 AM
my thoughts exactly, which is why writing an XHTML forum has been on my to-do list for about 9 months now. In that time i've become better at coding but not much better at time management :(

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum