View Full Version : A decent php editor

Win32Fun
06-03-2004, 02:43 PM
I was searching a replacement of Notepad then I came across an open source project named Notepad++.
<removed />
Here is the Notepad++ official site :
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

firepages
06-03-2004, 06:16 PM
Hey , I was browsing the PHP forum one day when I came accross some SPAM ! ...

I have left your link in as your product is free , but the cheesy SPAM content just had to go sorry.

bcarl314
06-03-2004, 06:21 PM
How can this be spam? It didn't have "Vi4gr4", "C14ll1s", or some text about enlarging things or 1.0 % mortgages?

:D :D

firepages
06-03-2004, 06:45 PM
lol true , but as Monty Python said , `thats as maybe , its still a frog` :D

carl_mcdade
06-03-2004, 06:46 PM
I wish just once someone would do the editor I want. Plain old Notepad.exe with a row numbers gutter. Nothing else just that little thing.

Edit I love Google: Ibrought me this. http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Perfection!!!

carl_mcdade
06-03-2004, 07:49 PM
Why is the forum acting nutty? first I can't see my post the I can :mad:

jspeybro
06-08-2004, 11:40 PM
currently I use textpad (www.textpad.com).
I tryed some other editors, but didn't really find the perfect editor for my needs.

I'm looking for an editor which has a good syntax-coloring, has a document-selector like textpad, can show linenumbers, uses standard keyboard shortcuts, has a find&replace function (preferable one that can handle mulitple-line strings)

Textpad comes close to that. but it uses html-syntax-coloring, which can not handle mixed quotes (' and ").
It also doesn't support multiple-line strings when searching and replacing.

a fine thing in textpad is that it can search and replace all found items in all documents that are open.

it's not free, but can be used without registering. (only shows a message when saving a file each 15 minutes or so.

I also tryed jEdit, but it's written in java and isn't as fast as I want, but it's a powerfull editor, and free!

UltraEdit-32 is also a good and powerfull editor, but is not free.

Johan

LynxGrr
06-08-2004, 11:52 PM
I use conText for most of what I do...

www.fixedsys.com/context/ (http://www.fixedsys.com/context/)

though to be honest Ive not really used much else other than Notepad... I quite like the look of notepad2 though, good suggestion carl_mcdade

l3vi
06-08-2004, 11:57 PM
I wish just once someone would do the editor I want. Plain old Notepad.exe with a row numbers gutter. Nothing else just that little thing.

Edit I love Google: Ibrought me this. http://www.flos-freeware.ch/notepad2.html

Perfection!!!

OOH! I love notepad2! THanks for posting it in here!

BTW,
I second that! It is perfect!... well.. almost... If only it had tabbed viewing..

bcarl314
06-09-2004, 01:57 AM
a fine thing in textpad is that it can search and replace all found items in all documents that are open.

I LOVE that feature on windows. When I'm coding on WinTel boxes, text pad is far and away the best editor I've found.

krycek
06-09-2004, 01:32 PM
I was searching a replacement of Notepad then I came across an open source project named Notepad++.
<removed />
Here is the Notepad++ official site :
http://notepad-plus.sourceforge.net/

Wow... thanks for posting the 'spam'... personally I wouldn't mind if all my spam was like this! :)

I use SciTE at the moment, but upon seeing that Notepad++ is based around Scintilla, I got interested... turns out I like it even better than SciTE! :eek:

I've emailed the developer with some questions (like, how to convert my custom SciTE settings) but I can see myself changing over from SciTE to Notepad++ very soon :D

carl_mcdade
06-09-2004, 03:41 PM
The instructions for replacing Notepad.exe with your favorite. I tested and updated where necessary. Tested on Windows 2000 Pro/IE6

Here are the steps (warning, process with care, no warranties etc):

Method 1
1) Rename Notepad2.exe to Notepad.exe
2) go to %windir%\system32
3) Rename Notepad.exe to NotepadX.exe
4) go to %windir%\system32\Restore
5) Turn off hide invisible files in Tools->Folder Options->View
6) Select filelist.xml and right click->Properties and uncheck Read-only
7) Edit the file
Add:

<REC>%windir%\notepad.exe</REC>

to:

<Exclude>
<REC>%windir%\system.ini</REC>
<REC>%windir%\tasks\desktop.ini</REC>
<REC>%windir%\win.ini</REC>
<REC>*:\AUTOEXEC.BAT</REC>
<REC>*:\CONFIG.MSI</REC>
<REC>*:\CONFIG.SYS</REC>
</Exclude>

9) copy the newly renamed notepad2.exe (now named notepad.exe) to %windir%\system32

note: it turns out that for some folks, this doesn't work. It did not work for me on my tablet pc. Thanks to Shakeel Mahate here is method #2.

Method 2
Tools->Folder Options->View uncheck Hide protected operating system files.
rename Notepad2.exe notepad.exe
copy notepad.exe %windir%/system32\dllcache
copy notepad.exe %windir%/system32
copy notepad.exe %windir%/

A dialog will popup hit cancel
Recheck Hide protected operating system files in the Folder Options dialog box
The dllcache contains copies of the windows protected files. The dllcache isnt itself protected. Internet explorer and Windows gets their copy of Notepad from different sources. So you haveto replace all copies or you will get the old notepad.exe when in IE and using "edit html" and the new when you right click and go to view source. This may apply to XP also.

gsnedders
06-09-2004, 07:24 PM
I use BBEdit :)

surgeproof
06-09-2004, 09:20 PM
Wow... thanks for posting the 'spam'... personally I wouldn't mind if all my spam was like this! :)

I use SciTE at the moment, but upon seeing that Notepad++ is based around Scintilla, I got interested... turns out I like it even better than SciTE! :eek:

I've emailed the developer with some questions (like, how to convert my custom SciTE settings) but I can see myself changing over from SciTE to Notepad++ very soon :D

nah, stick to SciTE! :cool:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum