View Full Version : Linux Graphical Interface Programming

MattJakel
05-30-2004, 01:07 AM
I know this is a bit of a newb question, sorry about that. I've experimented with alot of command-line programming languages such as C and Perl, but I haven't really looked in to programming a graphical interface program. I know that I probably just don't know enough yet, but I was wondering how and with which language graphical interface programs are made. Whenever I download something from for my Linux system, I have to run a .sh script, but I'm pretty sure this is only a script containing the procedure for installation. Can anybody give me any tips on how to get started with Linux graphical interface programming?

bcarl314
05-30-2004, 04:06 AM
You might want to look into programming with GTK (Gnu Tool Kit) which, as I understand it, allows you to create graphical front ends for scripts.

liorean
05-30-2004, 04:28 AM
There's a number of ways, given that your target environment is the [X windowing handler/X windows/X11/XFree86 or whatever you prefer to call it].

We have:
Tk - stands for "toolkit", simply. One of the older and cruder ones, commonly associated with the TCL programming language in the form of TCL/Tk.
wxWindows - Cross platform API building on top of the native toolkit (GTK, Win32, Carbon) of whatever host platform it is placed on.
GTK - The GIMP toolkit, the toolkit whereupon most Linux programs, including Gnome, are based. Originally developed for the GIMP (GNU Image Manipulation Program), but has grown into a more general GUI API.
Qt - Cross platform API building on top of the native GUI. Most known for being the base toolkit used in KDE.

You might be interesested in reading up on the subject in places like this: <http://www.faqs.org/docs/artu/ch14s06.html>

MattJakel
05-30-2004, 06:54 AM
Thanks! I'll look into those and that link!

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum