View Full Version : starting out

05-23-2004, 02:55 AM
hello. i know alot of HTML and have made many sites. now im looking to script PHP. where is the best place to look at for beginners. preferably, a site w/ many examples.

05-23-2004, 11:54 AM
Check out these tutorials..

..& for reference to any functions etc..

it's easy to refer to many functions by typing in www.php.net/function, where "function" is the function you want information on.

Also, if you're like me & want to get deeper into PHP than these tutorials offer, get yourself this book..

Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL - Second Edition ~ Kevin Yank

It seems to be the best book to get after looking through several different book reviews & has been recommened by several people. I have it on order myself. :)

Good Luck!

05-23-2004, 12:01 PM
Definitaly bookmark www.php.net
Apart from the manual, there are some realy basiv getting started tutorials there.
The Kevin Yank book is also a must-read.
You can get the first chapers (installation, post installation tasks and a few chapters on basic mySQL and PHP) here

05-23-2004, 02:59 PM
I second raf.

Read the Kevin Yank's book.

Also check the two volumes of the PHP Anthology by Harry Fuecks.

05-24-2004, 02:43 AM
1. when you are not sure of a command use quick manual lookup at php.net by typing this into your browser: php.net/[command name] --- already mentioned
2. get PHPEdit or other programs that help you along when you're programming...
3. after you are ok with basic stuff i STRONGLY recomend that you learn SMARTY TEMPLATE ENGINE. you can make clean scripts(you'll learn), and helpful when you debug....
4. i will add later if it comes into my mind :thumbsup:

+1 phper :D