View Full Version : Web Design buisness site review plz?

sharkey182uk
05-18-2004, 09:47 PM
Hey ive just finished my site for my buisness except a few wee things. Its valid XHTML and CSS. Its a fixed width layout. Just wondering what you guys thought about the design, accessibility, usability etc.

The site (http://www.thedevilseyes.co.uk)

Antoniohawk
05-18-2004, 09:53 PM
Very pleasing to the eye. You get a big :thumbsup:

bradyj
05-18-2004, 10:30 PM
I don't know if you meant it, but your links to your graphic design and flash section send me to a sample 'host here' kinda' page.
http://www.thedevilseyes.co.uk/graphicsport.php

It's a nice design -- it's very clean. I find it difficult on my eyes to read and look at -- lime is like orange in design, it's hard to pull off for people -- it doesn't match their common set of 'what looks good'; so, I think slightly plain, but still good. But get that portfolio page up there so I can critique that stuff:) :thumbsup:

oracleguy
05-18-2004, 11:11 PM
The code is pretty good, no indenting but I assume that is from PHP generating a lot of the html on the page.

I like it. :thumbsup:

sidvorak
05-19-2004, 05:59 AM
I agree with the other posts. Nice coding. Good straighforward design.
Not thrilled with the contrast level. Quite difficult to read. I understand trying to be subtle, but the point is to read it right? Might want to just go with black. Black and lime green are very close friends. They throw very sheik parties.

Also not very keen on the scattered use of a serif font when all others are sans-serif....maybe just me

Cheers,
Simon

mindlessLemming
05-19-2004, 08:33 AM
Why have you left style information inline??
Totally unneeded and makes upkeep more of a pain.
You asked for comments about accessibility, so I'll give a few of those:
I find your contrast between menu text and background very low. The links in the right column need to stand out more, perhaps make them bold?
Your "go" button is almost invisible.
You've used accesskeys, but I think perhaps you should do a little bit of reading relating to the implementation of accesskeys.
AccessifyForum - Accesskeys (http://accessifyforum.com/viewtopic.php?t=1156)
Accesskeys and Reserved Keystroke Combinations (http://www.wats.ca/resources/accesskeysandkeystrokes/38)
...and this may also be of interest : Link Relationships as an alternative to accesskeys (http://www.wats.ca/articles/accesskeyalternatives/52)

oracleguy
05-19-2004, 11:00 PM
Why have you left style information inline??
Totally unneeded and makes upkeep more of a pain.

I was wondering that myself since it isn't totally needed. The up keep being a pain depends on how database driven the site is but nonetheless, it would be better to have it in the stylesheet.

JohnnyPotseed
05-20-2004, 02:55 AM
Aside from the afore mentioned issues are some glaring gramatical errors. This can really wreck what is an otherwise good design. There are far too many to list here but one example is the use of the word "have" in several places where the past tense of "has" should be used. There are also some spelling and capitalazation mistakes as well. IMHO these are just as importrant as the asthetics in producing an overall proffesional presentation. If for some reason you need help with the copy, I would be happy to help clean it up. If so email me at my Hotmail address.

mindlessLemming
05-20-2004, 03:43 AM
IMHO these are just as importrant as the asthetics in producing an overall proffesional presentation.

Sorry, couldn't help myself :p

JohnnyPotseed
05-20-2004, 12:22 PM
LOL. Needless to say I am a big fan of spell checkers. :o

Antoniohawk
05-20-2004, 09:29 PM
What about 'asthetics' [sic]?

IMHO these are just as importrant as the aesthetics in producing an overall proffesional presentation. :D

sharkey182uk
05-21-2004, 08:57 AM
Hey thanks to everyone who critiqued my site changes will be made soon definitley with the contrast levels. I will do a huge spell and grammer check on the site too. I forgot about some of the inline styling which could have been transferred to the style sheet.

Cheers again people.

]|V|[agnus
05-27-2004, 06:34 AM
My monitor is old and sort of washed out, leaving the intentionally washed out look a little *too* washed out. Perhaps a higher contrast stylesheet as an option for folks like myself, or even folks with a decent monitor, but poor eyesight.

I don't really like the look of the content area. The headers seem too insignificant, and the backgrounds are plain annoying. However, I dig the green tones and the header and main navigation get a thumbs up from me.

ronaldb66
05-27-2004, 08:56 AM
Sharp observations indeed; since you mentioned the headers and the body text contrast I went back to take a hard long look.

The header would benefit from a more prominent styling (bigger, more catching color?);
the contrast between the content text and the background is a bit too low. Either darken the text, or fade / lighten the background a little more. It's less of a problem with bumped-up text sizes (which works! :thumbsup: ) though.

Still, I loooove the look of this design; pretty Zen Gardenish. Ever considered doing a design for the Garden?

Garadon
05-27-2004, 01:40 PM
Well since all the important things are said i'll say the irrelevant ones.

1. most write a copyrigth '@ YEAR Firm'
2. your headline in the image the is not clearly defined 3 words since the letter spacing is kind of weird. one could claim that it in fact said: cool l ime desi gn
3. shouldn't that very same headline have capital letters. Cool Lime Design. always remember 1st rule of branding the brand must always look the same.

ronaldb66
05-27-2004, 02:27 PM
Hmmm... once you start looking beyond the first impression, these sorts of things start to surface.
The letter spacing in the header does look a bit off, mainly centered around the "i"s; also, the spacing between the "l"s of "cool" and "lime" could be slightly more.

shouldn't that very same headline have capital letters
I think there are good reasons to keep the heading all small caps to make it "flow" better ( :confused: ); caps would stand out to much.

On the other hand, using the name in text without caps would make it drown and lose attention. Quoting or italicising may help, or some visual attention (although that wouldn't help on non-graphical browers).

stoodder
06-20-2004, 01:04 AM
wowit looks really good. lol veyr conforting to the eye other then some layouts ive seen that almost make you foam at the mouth and make the vein in your forehead pop out. otherwise yea its good definitly, i have a question for you, though woul dyou liek to join my network after im done withmy iste? it looks liek your going for a diffrent style of layouts then i am, its pretty cool.

Antoniohawk
06-20-2004, 07:13 PM
Since this thread has been brought up from the grave, I'll comment on a usability problem. On this page, [http://www.thedevilseyes.co.uk/porto.php], it is hard to tell that Web Design, Graphic Design, Flash Development, Interior Design (comming soon) are links and just not another part of the text.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum