View Full Version : php learning, bought a book but....

05-12-2004, 01:09 PM
Bought a book, title's something like "learn PHP, MySQL, and apache." I used to be able to buy a book, read, try, look back, try.....eventually I'd pickup a new(to me) web design language.
I bought that book a year ago.
My employer seems to "pile it on" more and more, life's been hectic and busy where I'm so tired I just don't have the attention span to read 2-300 pages and study and learn. OH I could read a story but for retention? to learn? it takes more focus.
I'm looking for a "quick and dirty" tutorial. I don't wanna be a whiz, just be a little comfy. Sometime, maybe on vacation, I'll read the book. Need something now though. Any recommendations?

05-12-2004, 01:13 PM
Well, w3schools.com has some pretty good tutorials. Check out this link...

Sometime, maybe on vacation, I'll read the book. Need something now though.

Dude, vacations are for you to relax. I'm not sure about you, but I try to completly unplug when I'm on vacation. No computer, phone, nothing. It's quite refreshing! :D

05-12-2004, 01:31 PM
I know javascript fairly well and CGi just somewhat too. Most pages I looked at look like stuff I already know minus a <?. It's not, but it looks that way. Know what I mean?
As for vacation. I fondly look back to days off where I'd start working on something for my site and get so into it I'd stay up all night and since I don't have to work I'll just sleep the next day. I love it.

05-12-2004, 01:40 PM
I found these ones good:

Plus this one which gets into MySQL & PHP:

If you know Perl, then PHP should be very easy for you to pick up!

As for books, going from recommendations & reviews this one seems best:

Build Your Own Database Driven Website Using PHP & MySQL - Second Edition - by Kevin Yank

I plan to be getting that one myself shortly! :D