View Full Version : Please Review Real Estate Website Design...

l3vi
05-06-2004, 09:08 PM
Hello,

I recently created a website for a realtor in my local area. Please rate the website for me. The URL is:

http://www.paulaosborne.com

Thanks a bunch for reviewing it for me.

gsnedders
05-06-2004, 09:29 PM
Sorry to put it like this but, well, YUK!

The image in the blue bar you can only see some of the left of
The maincontent should have a margin-left
Copryright 2004, Paula Osborne has a spelling mistake in it
Copryright 2004, Paula Osborne makes you have to scroll the main window
The Nav Bar uses Comic Sans:
Ill try to be kind -
COMIC SANS IS A CRIME!

prodigy-gm
05-06-2004, 09:36 PM
I have to agree with error404 on this one. I hope you didn't charge this poor woman for glueing together that website. If you did I think you'd better give it back. lol. :( As fo the spelling mistakes, c'mon man if you can't spell at least learn to use a spell checker before you publish someones website. I think you should quit web design and become a janitor or something.... ouch that was mean... :thumbsup:

l3vi
05-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Okay, Im still not finished with the website... Thats why I asked to rate it, so I can make changes. I didnt mean to make a mistake with Copyright. Its called a typo... Will change comic sans thing... Didnt know I was using that font... oops..
Also, what do you mean by this: The image in the blue bar you can only see some of the left of

Thank you... I think...
What other changes should I make, to improve?

BTW, should I make the main content and the infobar have a smaller height, and change the size of the copyright bar, so that the page stays in the screen, instead of having to scroll down?

gsnedders
05-06-2004, 10:19 PM
Oh, don't use the http://www.paulaosborne.com/Images/header.jpg as a background, as it's wreaking your layout, use it as an image with the css for the img.

l3vi
05-06-2004, 10:20 PM
Okay. Thanks. What else do you recommend I change?

Antoniohawk
05-06-2004, 10:39 PM
Change the javascript menu's text color onHover, too hard to read.

l3vi
05-06-2004, 10:40 PM
K, will do, one min...

Wut colour would u recommend?

gsnedders
05-06-2004, 10:42 PM
Change the javascript menu's text color onHover, too hard to read.

Yeah, how about white for the onHover?

BTW Antoniohawk, you haven't replied to my PM ;)

l3vi
05-06-2004, 10:43 PM
,.... I am using white...

Okay, I changed the submenu part as well...
I think thats what you were referrring to...

Spookster
05-06-2004, 10:49 PM
- Lose the frame. It just looks unprofessional and you don't need it.
- Lose the GMT timestamp. Same reason.
- Don't use percentages for your header image. The image looks distorted at different resolutions.
- You are using font tags? Those tags should no longer be used especially since you've implemented the use of CSS. Define your font sizes in your CSS.
- Your menu dropdowns disappear off the right side. The colors in the menu also look weird in comparison to the rest of the color scheme.

And always keep in mind when designing websites...."Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Antoniohawk
05-06-2004, 10:50 PM
@Error404
Now I have :)

@l3vi
Sorry, the submenu was what I was referring too.

l3vi
05-06-2004, 10:54 PM
And always keep in mind when designing websites...."Just because you can, doesn't mean you should".

Get rid of the part that says GMT -6, or the entire clock itself... I was mainly implementing this because she didnt want people with different timezones calling her late at night, or early morning.Of course, I will remove i
f needed. Also, I am not using a frame... Im using php includes tho... By frame, do you mean the scrollbar in the div. If so, I will remove that. I will define font tags with css, and get rid of font tags.. Working on rite now.
I will bump the menu over to the left a bit, so that this will not happen.
Thanks a bunch for all of the help...

Any messup looks rite now are cuz Im trying to fix all of these errors..

Spookster, the reason I quoted you was because I was keeping what you said in mind while I was designing the page. I was trying not to do too much, which may have led to a complete failure...

Spookster
05-06-2004, 11:05 PM
Get rid of the part that says GMT -6, or the entire clock itself... I was mainly implementing this because she didnt want people with different timezones calling her late at night, or early morning.Of course, I will remove i
f needed. Also, I am not using a frame... Im using php includes tho... By frame, do you mean the scrollbar in the div. If so, I will remove that. I will define font tags with css, and get rid of font tags.. Working on rite now.
I will bump the menu over to the left a bit, so that this will not happen.
Thanks a bunch for all of the help...

I meant lose the timestamp period. If she wants people to only call during certain hours then list her hours on the site. If people calling from different timeszones is that bad of a problem then also list the hours for the most common timezones.

I didn't look at the code that closely so I assumed you were probably using an iframe. Yes remove the scrolling. If news sites like CNN.com can pack huge amounts of information in one page without using frames or scrolling div's then you can fit that little bit of content on there without one as well. If the layout of the pages is forcing you to use frames or scrolling div's then change the layout.

l3vi
05-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Okay, Will lose the clock completely. Im still working on some of the scrolling div issues...

Okay, I have made a few of those changes. The div should not be scrolling anymore. I removed the clock, and I am in the process of removing the font tags.

Spookster
05-06-2004, 11:12 PM
Also I personally wouldn't use "Miscellaneous" as a menu section title. Come up with something more creative that indicates what falls under that section like "Tools and Services". And the word "Links" links to what or for what? From the looks of the links it looks like links to websites around the community so maybe a title like "Community Information" or "Local Area Information".

l3vi
05-06-2004, 11:25 PM
Okay, thanx for the ideas. I will change those 2...

Also, since the menu opens to the right and may cause problems with running off of the screen, should I move the menu all the way over to the left, where the clock was, or just bump over to the left where the clock was??

BTW, I also changed the menu rollover colour. Is it better like this, or was it better originally (#346cbe)?

5:55 PM:
Okay, I think I got all of the changes everyone mentioned. Is it any better??

5:59 PM:
Should I change to a tabbed menu instead of a dropdown?

Spookster
05-07-2004, 12:55 AM
It's looking much better now. I still recommend not using percentages for your width of the header image. It causes the image to become quite distorted at different browser sizes.

prodigy-gm
05-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Yeah you need to change the header. I've tried it a few resolutions and it distorts quite a bit. Also I'm not sure the text looks very professional centered. Align it to the left with a 20px margin and it should look better.

I must say that you have taken all this critism with a good attitude and I would like to :cool: ;) :cool: apologize for my nasty post earlier.

l3vi
05-07-2004, 01:14 AM
It's looking much better now. I still recommend not using percentages for your width of the header image. It causes the image to become quite distorted at different browser sizes.
Crap, sry, I forgot about that. I will fix the percentages as soon as I have time... Its getting kinda late...

Yeah you need to change the header. I've tried it a few resolutions and it distorts quite a bit. Also I'm not sure the text looks very professional centered. Align it to the left with a 20px margin and it should look better.

I must say that you have taken all this critism with a good attitude and I would like to :cool: ;) :cool: apologize for my nasty post earlier.
Its okay... will do as soon as I get time as well :D
I did it, but its not quite centered. Its more to the left...
7:51 PM
I think Ill stick with what I had originally (as far as the text-align goes)

bcarl314
05-07-2004, 02:15 AM
Just thought I'd weigh in here...

Take this how you will, but this looks exactly how I expect an independant real estate agent's web site to look. Simple, clean and professional.

Only changes I would make is adding a list of links under the contact information (footer) on every page which duplicates your top navigation. Very common, and I think it enhances usablity, although some would argue that it's duplication.

Otherwise looks good, especially for your first client site. My first client site was no where near that good (www.webres.com - he has since mangled it using Word for updates)

l3vi
05-07-2004, 02:27 AM
Just thought I'd weigh in here...

Take this how you will, but this looks exactly how I expect an independant real estate agent's web site to look. Simple, clean and professional.

Only changes I would make is adding a list of links under the contact information (footer) on every page which duplicates your top navigation. Very common, and I think it enhances usablity, although some would argue that it's duplication.

Otherwise looks good, especially for your first client site. My first client site was no where near that good (www.webres.com - he has since mangled it using Word for updates)

Lol, well, thank you very much. First post since I posted thread with something positive. Im pretty sure it turned out exactly how my client wanted it, because she pretty much told me she wanted everything u described it as. Simple, and clean.

Im going to go ahead and add in the links rite now :D BTW, by the links, u do mean every single link in the top menu, correct??

Once again, Thank u for that post! I can cancel that job application I sent in as a janitor! :rolleyes: (even tho Im not too sure they would have really accepted my application anyways, since im too young)

mindlessLemming
05-07-2004, 02:52 AM
- Don't use percentages for your header image. The image looks distorted at different resolutions.

++1 Scaling image = nasty artifacts.

The little picture of your client is FREAKIN HUGE! 67.1Kb to be exact :eek:
I downloaded it because I was going to correct the levels for you and when I opened it in photoshop my jaw dropped.
I've attached a far smaller version, with better colour.
:thumbsup:
And apparently you used Comic Sans? I wouldn't know, deleted it off my system :D

Don't let criticism get you down, considering your age and experience that site is excellant....and just quiectly, some of the people who put you down have submitted uglier sites than that for review ;)

l3vi
05-07-2004, 03:12 AM
++1 Scaling image = nasty artifacts.

I downloaded it because I was going to correct the levels for you and when I opened it in photoshop my jaw dropped.
And apparently you used Comic Sans? I wouldn't know, deleted it off my system :D

Don't let criticism get you down, considering your age and experience that site is excellant....and just quiectly, some of the people who put you down have submitted uglier sites than that for review ;)

Yeah, I redid the comic sans, and that last part, I already knew that... so It didnt really affect me...
Thanks a bunch for changing the filesize of that pic for me.. I never really thot about that... Probably should have :D

Thanx a bunch :D

Spookster
05-07-2004, 05:55 AM

Yikes!!!! :eek: Hadn't noticed that one. In IE you can drag and drop the images into the address bar to see what they look like before someone adjusts the widths using the width and height attributes.

Which brings me to another point.....

l3vi, don't use the width and height attributes of images to change their sizes like that. Why you ask?

1. It only affects them visually, it does not change their file size.
2. It often distorts the images. This is the case on both your header image and the ColdWell Banker logo. Always change their width and height in a graphics editing program.

And whoever mentioned you text alignment earlier, I agree with them. Avoid the centering of all your text. Left align it and put a slight margin between the text and the left column and the header of the site.

I would put the copyright notice centered but that is about it.

l3vi
05-07-2004, 08:50 PM
Yikes!!!! :eek: Hadn't noticed that one. In IE you can drag and drop the images into the address bar to see what they look like before someone adjusts the widths using the width and height attributes.

Which brings me to another point.....

l3vi, don't use the width and height attributes of images to change their sizes like that. Why you ask?

1. It only affects them visually, it does not change their file size.
2. It often distorts the images. This is the case on both your header image and the ColdWell Banker logo. Always change their width and height in a graphics editing program.

And whoever mentioned you text alignment earlier, I agree with them. Avoid the centering of all your text. Left align it and put a slight margin between the text and the left column and the header of the site.

I would put the copyright notice centered but that is about it.
K, I fixed the Coldwell Banker Logo, and changed her pic. Her pic is down to 3.7Kb..

Nothing should be centered, except the headers, the duties to buyers page, and both contact pages. Other than that, it all should be aligned to the left...
The My listings page was accidentally centered because I forgot to delete it last night, when I was updating the code to center the headers...

redhead
05-07-2004, 10:12 PM
The logo image looks... *odd* now, because it just cuts off so abruptly. Try spliting it so that the text at the left is one seperate image floated to the left and them happy customers are another image, floated to the right. Then it will be more fluid and will not cause scrollage at a lower resolution.

Also, I'd recommend that rather than using spaces to force an indent at the beginning of each paragraph you use the CSS property text-indent.

Is that font meant to be Times New Roman? Maybe there's a font less... gross out there... (that one's a matter of personal preferance mind, and I'll probably be told off by the Times New fans ;)) For the record, I'm using FireFox at 1280*960... and maybe your code for a nicer font just isnt working for me. I haven't delved into that yet...

Perhaps a little more padding to the left of the text (by the line) would be good... It could do with a little more room to breathe methinks.

Haunted
05-07-2004, 10:38 PM
I don't really know much about javascript but I wanted to point out that on this page (http://www.paulaosborne.com/index.php?page=request) when you're mouse goes over the drop down menu bar, the price range drop down box disappears. Maybe it's meant to be like that maybe it's my browser I don't know, but I just wanted to point that out.

l3vi
05-07-2004, 11:05 PM
I don't really know much about javascript but I wanted to point out that on this page (http://www.paulaosborne.com/index.php?page=request) when you're mouse goes over the drop down menu bar, the price range drop down box disappears. Maybe it's meant to be like that maybe it's my browser I don't know, but I just wanted to point that out.

Okay, thanx... Im not sure why it does that. It doesnt do that for me tho.
What browser are you using, and what OS?

Strange, I tried in IE, and it does that for me as well...

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum