View Full Version : Question...Not sure where to post this

CloudF7
05-02-2004, 07:26 AM
Hi all,

i'm not sure where to post this so i'll try here..this idea is sorta complicated and im not sure it's possible.

The idea is that i have a intranet website with a list of movies and i have a media server in my house with home movies on it, which i want to be able to click on a button next to the movie title on the website on any computer and have it execute the movie on the computer that is connected to my tv.

I've seen a few scripts that can execute files on a system but i dont want it to execute the movie on the computer browsing the website, i want it to execute the file on the tv computer....Any Idea's on how this would be possible?

Thanks CloudF7

joh6nn
05-02-2004, 09:13 AM
this would be best accomplished with some server side language. PHP is pretty easy to use, and i'm told it's fairly easy to get running on Windows ( i'm assuming that's your platform ), so i'm gonna move you into the Server Side forum.

good luck with it.

firepages
05-02-2004, 11:51 AM
hmmmm , not straightforward but a web based approach may be (and I am not saying this is the only or best way to go)

1) create a standalone socket server on the TV box , e.g. a daemon that simply sits waiting for connections on a specified port (and only from your network).

2) setup your website to submit a request to that machines IP (requires a static IP but on the network thats not an issue) , either directly via sockets or perhaps even exec() a telnet session , basically anything that can submit a request via TCP/IP or UDP

3) your deamon would then simply win_exec() whatever movie required playing when it received the request.

the deamon would be best written in C though PHP/PERL/Python etc are all capable , the webserver stuff could be any server-side language.

In fact it sounds like a fun project !

CloudF7
05-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Well after i posted this i started to have a few ideas and this one just might work if i can figure it out, an AT command to setup a scheduled task of playing the movie....only one problem that i see so far is a script needed to input the time for the scheduled task so the command would be like this:
AT \\MyTvSystem [Script to insert time] C:\Movies\Homemovie.avi
But to also have it insert the time and execute the cmd.

Is there a way to do that?

firepages
05-02-2004, 04:47 PM
lol fair enough , far simpler , what format does the date/time have to be in ?

if PHP you should look at the date() (http://www.php.net/date) & exec() (http://www.php.net/exec) commands

CloudF7
05-02-2004, 05:09 PM
lol. Simpler is less stressful, and besides why not use a service already installed and running, a custom system would be more fun but i'd rather get a basic system in place first.

well for AT commands it's usually ultra simple in Military time for (IE 21:00 for 9pm)

Example: AT \\Mytvputer 13:05 C:\Movies\Homemovie.avi

Easy enough to say but to have a script insert the time and then execute it is something i dont understand...ie website would add to the cmd then execute it

*Edit* Well /\ sounded like a good idea except after playing with it manually the AT command system is too basic for what i want to do...PHP is starting to sound more of what i need/ a daemon to listen for remote commands that can be send via a website

firepages
05-02-2004, 05:50 PM
ok , how you go about formatting the url is up to you ,but with a url like ...
page.php?hrs=13&mins=05&movie=alien.avi

&& page.php looking like ...

<?
$cmd ="AT \\\\Mytvputer {$_REQUEST['hrs']}:{$_REQUEST['mins']} C:\\Movies\\{$_REQUEST['movie']}";
exec($cmd,$yaks);
print_r($yaks);
?>

now have not a clue if that will actually work , though the exec itself works on XP

CloudF7
05-02-2004, 07:22 PM
Thanks, gonna test this tonight and post back my results

l3vi
05-03-2004, 02:09 AM
Thats ounds interesting :D I tried it on my computers, but it said access was denied, how do I give it access (I know nothing about AT commands... BTW, would anyone PM me with a link to any information about AT Commands??)

CloudF7
05-03-2004, 03:35 AM
Well after all that mumbo jumbo i created a nice system...Using a telnet server i created a account for each movie and i created a batch file to telnet to the server so ya just have to enter the information, So Username=Movie Name and Password=Play...the way it works is each account on the telnet server has a login script that plays the movie on the tv system..i even have a batch file to close out the movie player when the movie is over..Now to the problem...

I want to make it Computer illiterate friendly...i need to find a way to make a script using some programming lanuage that will execute in a webpage that will logon to a telnet server and enter the login and password automatically and just nothing more...just loggin in activates the logon script that plays the movie....How can you create a script to enter the username/pass for a telnet connect automatically...i've things such as batch files but that doesnt work...Any clue?

Thanks
CloudF7

Darknight
05-13-2004, 04:21 PM
Geee thanks alot! Now I want to do this too.
There goes another weekend LOL

I heard that microsoft is trying to put features like this directly into the upcoming os. Perhaps we will have better built in tools in a year or so.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum