View Full Version : PHP file arrived looking like chicken scratch!

05-01-2004, 01:03 AM
I am new to PHP..........Well what I mean is I can stumble around and eventually get a perl or cgi program to work....BUT this PHP file arrived after I loaded it with ASC2 transfer to my Unix server as a series of symbols and SOMETIMES it would show me a few lines or readable text...... Can someone tell me what is happening?

05-01-2004, 01:22 AM
Hmm... Maybe it is encrypted in some way? Or maybe it isnt a PHP script, could be an application code?

Either way, please could you take a look at the posting guidelines ( http://www.codingforums.com/postguide.htm ) (mainly section 2).

Can you explain it a bit better? i think i got the gist but more info would be helpful.

05-01-2004, 01:30 AM
Are you sure your FTP program was in ASCII mode when it transferred? That can be caused by binary transfers. What program did you use to FTP the file?

05-01-2004, 01:32 AM
Sorry about the comparision to the fowl in my last and also first post here. It has been a frusterating day.

On my server the file looked like a series of squares and letters that I could not account for.

It also loaded only the following word when I tryed opening it in notetab.

I think from what I learned today , ZEND is a new vehicle to deliver scripts?

At any rate. What can I do to resolve this. Only a few of the files arrived in this format. And I re-loaded them a few times as well with no change.......

I really do think that I may have a server issue as like I mentioned before. I would sometimes see on re-opening the file in the webshell ....a few lines of typical PHP text.....Mostly a warning message stating unknown character and the name of my server's webshell feature.

05-01-2004, 01:42 AM
Did you check what spookster said? Other than that I dont really have any idea, sorry about that...

Zend (The zend engine) is the core engine of the PHP language.

05-01-2004, 01:56 AM
I may have found the problem.
What is my CJ?

Below is some of the few instructions I got with the program:

1. Upload the files config.php, skin.php, .htaccess, apen.txt, apru.txt and all html-files in ASCII mode into main directory of your CJ
2. Upload all other php-files and gif files in Binary mode.

I had thought that PHP and PL and CGI all were treasted the same in uploading. Ob\viously not.. [using this as a base reference only]

Is the CJ actually my cgi-bin?

ANd thanks for the fast responces and not running me off after the fowl thing.

05-01-2004, 02:41 AM
Hi , is this a commercial script ? if so have you a link to their homepage ...

`CJ` has no relevance to PHP or webservers/languages that I know of so it must be part of the script ?

I suspect that missing-score is on the right track when mentioning encrypted files , ZEND produce a Zend Encoder which creates `compiled` PHP files , as do a few others , most of which require the server to have either the Zend Optimizer or another server-object installed to handle the decryption of the PHP files at runtime.

That or the script included another server-object of some sort , a link may help us work it out !

05-02-2004, 07:55 AM
I had to delete entire folder. My server did not have ZEND loaded...........Thanks for all the help ........