View Full Version : Accessible jump menu without go button

Mikey Beee
04-23-2004, 10:16 AM
Dear world.

I am trying to create a jump menu for a website I'm working on and do not want to use the old go button.

I've had a look on t'internet and wherever I go it refers to accessible = go button.

I'm sure someone out there know the answer to this one. Phoned Jacob but got his answering machine...

Cheers in advance - Mike Beee :thumbsup:

04-23-2004, 10:41 AM
The "go" button for accessibility was traditionally because some browsers didn't support the "onchange" event of the <select>

But now that accessibility actually means accessibility in the true sense (access for all, rather than legacy degrading like we used to mean) the need for a "go" button is ever more pertinent - for browsers that don't support javascript the form can post to a server-side script that performs the same functionality as the JS redirect.

So there isn't another answer. You have to have a button. But you can style it to look nicer, or use <input type="image" - that's just as good (providing it has ALT text, obviously :))

Mikey Beee
04-23-2004, 11:50 AM
Ok thanks for that.

Hypothetically then, in a world where IE 6.0 is ubiquitous, is there any way that using the keyboard stokes you can select the contents of a drop down and hit enter without having the go button?