View Full Version : General Question: When you think of...

A1ien51
04-23-2004, 03:57 AM
I am working on a project about JavaScript and I am trying to answer the following question:

When you think of JavaScript, what do you picture in your mind?

I think on menus and slide shows....I am wondering what you think of....

Thanks,
Eric

Roy Sinclair
04-23-2004, 05:14 AM
I'd add "forms" and "image swaps" to that list.

joh6nn
04-24-2004, 02:40 AM
i'd also add cookies, and then 'cause i tend to be negative, mouse trails, pop ups, and animated status bar text.

mordred
04-24-2004, 03:47 PM
I think of "WYSIWYG editing of textareas", because that's what gets demanded most in my job. Apart from that, "form validation" and "form enhancements" like sliders, date/color pickers etc. do pop up on the thought of JavaScript as well.

liorean
04-24-2004, 05:29 PM
Sadly, I have to agree with Joh6nn here. Mostly think of what I would categorise as junk.

However, since I changed over to moz, I've seen less and less junk and more and more nicely done JavaScript, so I'd say that it's on the way of changing - it goes more towards making public pages that would be perfectly accessible without script entirely ie5w dependent. (There's quite a few things here in Sweden that are limited thus, the pension system and the university admission system just to mention those that doesn't even work in ie6w.)

Casseandra
04-25-2004, 09:19 AM
I think of banner ads and dynamic web pages. JavaScript can create amazing web pages.
Casseandra
:thumbsup:
wish they had a two thumbs up :p

immedicable
04-25-2004, 11:44 AM
excluding the minimalists i can't think of a single decent site without at least some javascript.

for me it brings to mind motion - not cheesy animated gifs, or flashing banners, but thoughtfully rendered and subtly articulated motion. this kind of javascript is able to achieve the opposite of what it's become infamous for; instead of drawing attention to itself by text blinking yellow and pink, a designer is able to more readily direct the users attention and the page's focus with movement that appears, at least, to reflect physical law - our perception is conditioned to expect certain motive behaviors. transitioning a page, or a page's content, with law-abiding motion is less distracting than having the old vanish and the new appear instantly (as is the case with any page that doesn't use script).

shlagish
04-26-2004, 01:05 AM
When I think of javascript, I think "movement", I think "interaction with the user" and I think "making a page just that much more interesting (look-wise)".

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum