View Full Version : Programmers : How long did it take you to 'Get it'?

furiousferret
04-21-2004, 05:44 AM
This is to all programmers, mainly the C, C++, and Java ppl, but I really want to know how long it took everyone here to feel that they were proficient at coding, where you get to the point where someone can describe an app and you can write it easily, or at least get the concept of what you have to do. Also, how did you get to that point? Self taught? School?

I've been taking a programming class (Java) at college and writing some small JavaScript codes, and after about 4 months of coding alot of things still really confuse me, mainly looping. I know how to do one, I'm just not sure how they are always implemented in applications. I'm sure eventually it'll click, and I know I'm learning fast (only 3 people in my class are even caught up in thier work) compared to others, but I'm still really far off from where I want to be.

But enough about me, I want to hear everyones story :)

liorean
04-21-2004, 07:40 AM
Well, in my case, really "getting" JavaScript took 1995-2002 or somewhere in that region. However, most of that time I just used it as a tool, but I didn't look into the depths of it, like I am today.

Jason
04-21-2004, 07:42 PM
I felt like it took a year or so to get good at java and C/C++ however I never really do much GUI programing so I probably would have a tough time writting one, but the logic behind it without the display I could do rather quickly...

Jason

Mhtml
04-22-2004, 02:14 PM
Took me about 6 months. Once you 'get it' though, you find that you learn really quickly after that and when you look back when you 'got it' doesn't really compare to the 'gettingness' you currently have ;) .. You never really get it all though, there is always something you can't seem to get your mind around.

But like Jason said, the logic is the main part of it... Once you begin to think like a computer so to speak it sort of just flows.

sad69
04-22-2004, 10:44 PM
About 4-8 months. Then once you've got it, it's like riding a bicycle. But yea, it's like Mhtml said, "Once you begin to think like a computer so to speak it sort of just flows."

The one thing that took me a while to grasp was recursion. For some reason I just couldn't get my head around it!

But I'm talking imperative languages. Anyone ever tried functional (haskell or smalltalk) or logical (prolog or lisp) languages? Maybe if that was my starting language I might've gotten it... but then again I might've just been turned off from programming altogether!

Sadiq.

whackaxe
04-23-2004, 12:26 PM
programming learning curve is very steep. once you 'get it' (took me about 6 months to grasp the concepts *cough* of javascript *cough*) then most other languages are relitivly easy to adapt

gsnedders
04-29-2004, 11:09 PM
Took me about a week or so to get validating XHTML, after knowing very, very, very little, non-validating HTML, and about a month for CSS, as for BASIC, a long time, lets say 5 years, from when I was 3 to when I was 8.

Mhtml
04-30-2004, 08:53 AM
Xhtml and CSS should only take a week, if that.

It hardly counts as programming though, which is the first mistake most who learn it make ;) ..

gsnedders
04-30-2004, 08:37 PM
It hardly counts as programming though, which is the first mistake most who learn it make ;) ..

I count any computer language which isn't called (British) English programming.

liorean
04-30-2004, 10:48 PM
I thinke one of the requirements of it being programming is that it can be used for effectualising algorithms using logics, something that HTML on it's own is incapable of. CSS can effectuate very limited logics, but not across the board, so it doesn't qualify either. JavaScript on the other is rather good at logics.

lostinjava
05-20-2004, 04:16 PM
i know a few languages, started with BASIC database queries, followed with SQL, then moved on to VB C++ and Java, however i didn't feel profficient at coding in any of them until i studied underlying concepts that are fundamental to all programming. the whole concept of Abstraction, gettin to grips with Cause n Effect really helps to reduce runtime and logic errors.

shmoove
05-20-2004, 08:43 PM
Every time I think I get it, a new bug comes along to teach me that I really don't :)

shmoove

Hiei
05-20-2004, 08:50 PM
the first programming language i learned was BASIC and i "get it" but not good enough to write complex programs, then i started perl and i found i like it so i write my programs in perl now. when i first started out learning it took me about a week to get the Basics down (print, input ,math operators) in BASIC, im still learning so i can't say i've "gotten anything" down yet but it comes pretty easily to me, the hard part is getting your programs to run

swmr
05-22-2004, 04:28 AM
It's got me!

in quicksand, that is...

Danielb
07-24-2004, 03:59 AM
What are your IQ's? :) wondering if the higher the easier you find it?

Mhtml
07-24-2004, 08:08 AM
I've paid to take 2 mensa accredited tests and both times I acieved 133.

neofibril
07-24-2004, 01:33 PM
Teach Yourself Programming in Ten Years (http://www.norvig.com/21-days.html)

Mhtml
07-24-2004, 02:21 PM
Yeah that's a good link, there is no rush to learn to program. Computers aren't going anywhere.

Once you know one language really well it takes no time to pick up new ones because you understand how it works. Generally.

Programming isn't how well you know a language, it's how well you know the concepts.

I only learn 2 - 3 languages a year because I can, I am in no rush, I just understand programming concepts. There is nothing more than syntax that is really different between most languages.

Can anyone tell me what depth those teach yourself x in y hours/days books go into for programming? Do they explain software design as well as the language or is it just a crash course in the language?

I think the world needs a really good programming book if they don't.

Danielb
07-24-2004, 06:35 PM
I've paid to take 2 mensa accredited tests and both times I acieved 133.i got 132, :) ive just applied to join

MPCODER
07-24-2004, 07:55 PM
Sorry to be a party pooper, but my IQ is 135 :p ;)

Predatawr
07-25-2004, 12:03 PM
sounds like a general rule for everything ;)

Lorian
07-25-2004, 12:17 PM
It took me like 2 days to learn CSS, if that, it's easy! Now I'm just getting confused on C :S lol

trib4lmaniac
07-25-2004, 01:04 PM
IQ is about 127 or so. (Very unsure about that though!) Still haven't really "got it"

Edit:
Oops, I should have added that I started (proper) programming about 6 months ago. About 6 months before that I did HTML & CSS. (Which took me about an hour!)

neofibril
07-25-2004, 01:22 PM
What I've gotten is that extensive research upfront may prove to be an important prerequisite to my pending "get(s)". :cool:

nolachrymose
07-25-2004, 02:20 PM
...CSS should only take a week, if that.

Perhaps this is true for learning the basics of CSS, but to really understand the depth of the language, it would take much longer. Knowing a few properties is not knowing the language. How many people "know" CSS, but have no idea what the "float" property is used for, or understand the difference between pseudo-elements and pseudo-selectors?
You also have to understand the models and such, not to mention being able to use the properties to produce valid, sensible CSS.

Happy coding! :)

Mhtml
07-25-2004, 05:56 PM
I think I might be able to squeeze in a few more points. I hope to catch my dad (144) .. I can always try harder.

Did you take mensa accredited tests? Like the ones that involve the physical puzzels and such? Not the stupid online variants which claim to be the real deal, I've got 160 in the stupid Tickle one before so I don't think it can possibly be the real deal.

Corey4150
08-03-2004, 07:00 PM

Wronge, IQ actually isn't a very good thing to have to high, unless you want to stand out between other people in learning

Usually having a high IQ just means you have learning problems in one area and have good learning ability in another...

so i could be really good at learning things quickly, (if they have purpose) and forgeting them within that same day... after all i can't remember what happened yesterday lol..

presonally in 5 years, i started in Front Page (which is an emberasment to even mention), went to HTML, SHTML, PHP, CSS, and then went to something called GML (which is a very simplified form of C++, gamemaker.nl however i wouldn't even call the scripting part of it very complex) , and then i'm currently going to C++, and the hardest thing to really learn is Win32 progrmming... after all to have a simple window it takes like 50 lines of code (minimum)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum