View Full Version : mailing application - please help

freddya
04-08-2004, 04:24 PM
Still a php newbie. please help me create an application for a mock real estate agent. The end product should enable users to search for houses online. If they are not able to find a suitable one then they can leave there email addresses and requirements. When one is available the details of that house can then be mailed to them.
My email is anesufreddy@graffiti.net

Thanks.

Nightfire
04-08-2004, 06:16 PM
So what code have you got so far?

freddya
04-09-2004, 01:48 PM
:o
Well, basically none. I just had the idea and wanted to be helped from scratch, maybe get an idea on how would I go about it first of all.

miranda
04-09-2004, 08:34 PM
First off build a form for the search with the paramaters listed on it. Next upon submit would be the page(assuming a seperate page and not a postback) that handles the search function. Assuming you know how to write a basic SQL string, this part is quite easy. Then if the user has results display them, If not, then I would load the specific info into some hidden form fields and have a field for input of email address into it. Upon submission this info can then be sent via email or inserted into a database or text file.

I would probably do an insert into a database and then set up a Cron job to handle the searching of new listings and emailing that a match was found showing some of the match info and who the person can contact for more info.

freddya
04-17-2004, 06:03 PM
I have been looking through my php manuals and cannot see how I can do a cron job. :confused: Any help? Or any alternative way?

apoth
04-17-2004, 07:09 PM
I'm new to PHP so don't all yell at once if this is wrong, but cron's used in *nix to automate tasks, so it's not actually a PHP function but would come with a *nix OS.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum