View Full Version : What language whould you use?

splatzz
04-07-2004, 04:52 PM
Hi,

I've taken on the task of project manager for a large online project. It involves creating tools that will allow users to manage communities, contest, e-mails, etc.. Could anyone tell me what programming languages would be best for this type of project (Java, ASP, PHP, Perl)? What kind of skills should I look for when hiring programmers? Thank you.

splatzz

Nightfire
04-07-2004, 05:03 PM
Well you could've just asked this in one forum instead of having multiple amounts for the same topic. Can use whatever you want, depending on what your server supports. Best choices are php, asp and maybe jsp. Obviously you want a programmer that is skilled in whatever your server supports, no point having a jsp programmer if you can't have jsp

splatzz
04-07-2004, 07:21 PM
I posted to different forums since I may get biased opions from langauge specific forums. But what servers don't work for JSP? Thanks for the help.

Nightfire
04-07-2004, 07:32 PM
Tomcat = jsp
IIS/windows = ASP
Apache/linux = PHP

dswimboy
04-08-2004, 06:53 AM
don't be fooled. PHP can be implemented on IIS/MS and Apache for sure. I'm not up on my reading with Tomcat or JSP, so i can't comment on them.

PHP is a scripting language (i think). It generally isn't as complicated as the object-oriented Java used for JSP, but it isn't as structered either. I personally hate VBScript, ASP, VisualBasic, and most every other proprietarty crap that comes out of that monopoly from richmond...but judging by it's popularity, it could be good.

Overall, i would recommend what you (or your programmers) are most familier with, and can get the most help with.

thunderbox
04-08-2004, 08:16 AM
php or java, that would be the best, if u wanted it in a browser then PHP if you wan tit like in a little window in the browser then go JAVA

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum