View Full Version : Site review please!

sina94
03-22-2004, 09:17 PM
Can you guys tell me what you think about my website. I know it works in IE and Mozilla, and it doesn't work Netscape. Other than that I don't know. But, here it is:

http://seducius.port5.com/

ESPECIALLY THE FORMS!!!

http://seducius.port5.com/form2.html

gsnedders
03-22-2004, 09:20 PM
Well in Apple Safari it looks Safari can't find the server.

Nightfire
03-22-2004, 09:40 PM
Can I say ugly? Menu doesn't work in FireFox. Code doesn't validate http://validator.w3.org/check?verbose=1&uri=http%3A//seducius.port5.com/

DsgnrsTLZAdmin
03-23-2004, 12:01 AM
dude that some sick sh*t

sina94
03-23-2004, 12:13 AM
It validates now, but I need help making a custom doctype for my frames page. It needs to include framespacing, frameborder, margin, and noresize attributes for framesets. And has anybody tested the forms? They're just e-mail forms and not SSL so I needed to make sure they worked.

DsgnrsTLZAdmin
03-23-2004, 12:17 AM
no, it doesnt validate.

sina94
03-23-2004, 12:24 AM
I meant it was reading it now, I didn't have a doctype in it before. But I still need to get those few things added and I have no clue what I'm doing with custom doctypes. I did try to make one, but like I said "no clue"... http://seducius.port5.com/custframes.dtd

sina94
03-23-2004, 12:35 AM
Oh, and by
dude that some sick sh*t do you mean you're gonna thow up because it's so ugly...because that seems to be Nightfires opinion...lol.

ronaldb66
03-23-2004, 08:03 AM
Do you really need a custom doctype to make a frames page work?!! Because that looks to me like a dead-end road... Attributes get deprecated for a reason, you know; mostly because you don't need them. See if you can create a working site with the use of current standards and all the available technologies first, instead of creating your own standards.

About the site: you layout looks cluttered, confusing, there are way to many things moving, which made me really nervous, the navigation is unclear and has a very high "mystery meat" factor, and all the ad banners and bombardments of pop-ups made sure I won't be coming back any time soon: if something really ruins my mood it's having to intercept six, seven pop-ups after leaving a site.

ghell
03-23-2004, 08:39 AM
gah!! to many adverts and frames, and the colour scheme isnt very good, perhaps you should redo the whole thing, as for the workyness, i cant see any problems on this colleges old crappy version of IE

sina94
03-23-2004, 02:31 PM
Ok, I removed the scroll bars from the main frame to put the focus back where it should be...the iframe (I gave it real scroll bars too after trying and trying to figure out how to do that), and I took out the exit popup that was spawning other popups...because frankly, they had a cr@ppy service.

I do need the custom doctype if I ever want to get it validated. I want the frame feeling, but I don't want those big old ugly borders around them, and that's part of the problem. I need somebody to help me figure out how to make one, not tell me to build my website around standards. How do we get standards if nobody makes them? I'm just trying to mix mine in with the accepted ones.

As for the color scheme and layout. Color scheme, though pretty out there, is exactly what I'm looking for. I want something that people are gonna think is "some sick sh*t", no matter which way they mean it. It's either gonna have them throwing up because it's so ugly, or they like it. We're talking medieval/fantasy/sci-fi here, is suppose to stick out like a sore thumb and take a lot of boos but it's gonna call in the occasional fan. Layout, I know, is a little clunky. That's part of the reason I wanted a review...so I could tell when (or if) you could find your way around it easily.

DsgnrsTLZAdmin
03-23-2004, 06:16 PM
If you got rid of the frames and got a better menu it would look a lot better

sina94
03-23-2004, 10:03 PM
Which menu seems to be the problem? And has anybody tried the forms yet...if so that's a problems because they're obviously not working. But try http://seducius.port5.com/form2.html and put "delete" as the subject...unless you actually want a profile on there.

Paul Jr
03-23-2004, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by sina94
I do need the custom doctype if I ever want to get it validated.
What happened to the good ol' Frames DTD...?

Originally posted by sina94
I need somebody to help me figure out how to make one, not tell me to build my website around standards. How do we get standards if nobody makes them?
*CoughW3C? (http://www.w3.org/)Cough*

Seriously... you don't need frames. They're inaccessible, they can frustrate the user if he/she's trying to bookmark a certain page, and they really, really blow for SE ranking.

And like Ronald said, things are deprecated for a reason.

ronaldb66
03-24-2004, 09:04 AM
Sorry for missing the glaringly obvious earlieron: I have my dim moments as much as the next guy.
The point with your doctype is this: it is useless! To my knowledge, no browser currently actually validates a page using the provided doctype. Including a doctype is needed if you want to validate a page using the available validators, and browsers use them to switch between quirks and standards mode, but whatever doctype you specify, a browser will simply render what it knows how to.
The sole exception I can imagine would be if you'd specify it as an XML application (which I expect you don't), and you can find a browser that can render XML, but you still have to tell it how to render it via some sort of transformation, probably ending up with (X)HTML in the end anyway.

To make a long story short: the HTML 4.01 specs support frames (http://www.w3.org/TR/html401/present/frames.html), so do the XHTML 1.0 / frames (http://www.w3.org/TR/2004/WD-xhtml-modularization-20040218/abstract_modules.html#s_framesmodule) specs; stick with one of those. Making up your own standards will help you nothing.

DsgnrsTLZAdmin
03-24-2004, 08:01 PM
I think you should start all over. Go to http://freesitetemplates.com/ for a template.

ionsurge
03-26-2004, 05:38 AM
Opera doesn't stop refreshing on your site... serious issue with bandwidth.

sina94
03-31-2004, 01:51 AM
Keep in mind that the target audience is about 10-18 year olds. So, color scheme and stuff isn't the big issue. Functionality is. I want the frames so stop complaining about that. Only one link is to an outside source. And I have the break frame button anyway so they can get the full page outside of a frame. I understand that they may not be aware of the buttons and what they do, but I assume that if they need them they'll be a frequent visitor and will just contact admin or check forum. As I'm sure you can tell, it's a web community more or less.

What I need to know is what functionality issues there are and a possible way to fix them. And I still haven't heard anything about the forms. I don't know if you're ignoring them altogether or what. But they are the most important part. They are sent by e-mail, so just put "delete" as the subject when you send it so I know it's working alright.

DesignersToolz
03-31-2004, 02:19 AM
Ages 10-18 huh? Perfect I'm 15 and not to be mean but that site just makes me and I'm sure everyone else want to puke. We have given you a lot of useful info, e.g loose the frames but you don't want to make it any better so :rolleyes:

sidvorak
03-31-2004, 04:09 PM
If you ask for help...be sure your ready to recieve it...

Sina94...why make a webpage if you don't want to do it right? You've got several intelligent people telling you your site needs serious work beyond whatever problem your having with your forms. Trust them!

Honestly, I tried to look at your forms...however the barage of ads and pop-ups (not to mention the frame/iframe ) made me close your page immediately. I assume most other people will do the same.

Maybe check out hosting that doesn't splatter your site with ads (unless you put those there :confused: ). Doteasy.com is one place that offers bannerless free hosting.

cheers,
Simon

sina94
04-05-2004, 01:46 PM
First off, I am getting rid of the ads and stuff. BUT MOST THE PEOPLE ON HERE ARE TOO STUBBORN TO REALIZE IT. What I said was I'm not getting rid of the frames. I don't want my menu scrolling with my site. I'm working on a new code for the menu that will make that portion of the site perform better (like no sliding out from the side of the page). I got a code so the main page of the site is wired up with the navbar so they aren't refreshing and going back and forward with my ridiculous buttons. I am taking your suggestions into account...it's just the fact that evey goddam person is *****ing about the frames. I got it after the first time, and for now it's not changing. But it pissed me off that nobody would help with what I specifically asked for help with but could ramble on about what everybody else already had. I'm working on all of those things that you mentioned and then some and expect a relaunch in about a month, maybe more. But is it too hard to do what I asked instead of something completely else. Your stating the obvious, I need something a bit deeper than that.

missing-score
04-05-2004, 02:11 PM
this is a community of developers, everyone has different opinions, its is usally a good idea for many people to comment on the same aspect! When you ask for our criticisim you get it ! :)

DesignersToolz
04-05-2004, 02:35 PM
If some of you have followed up on my posts when i first got here then you know I can have an additude but I'll hold back here as well as I can.

Alright sina94, it's like this brutha.
You come in here, you ask questions, you answer someone elses. It's give and take. If you don't get the answer you exspected then you keep your mouth shut and you find your answer elseware. If you keep up you additude then it will take 0 time for you to get no help at all. These are very nice people here and they know what they speak of, if it wasn't for them theres a lot of things I'd never have been able to acomplish as quickly as I did. Be glad they take the time out to help you.

DesignersToolz
04-05-2004, 02:37 PM
Now - on to your forms. If they work for you, they'll work for anyone. It's most likely being mailed to you by a server side language with has nothing to do with the user-end so like I said, works for one it will work for all.

Nightfire
04-05-2004, 02:48 PM
The forms will only work for those that have got their email client set up, ie Outlook. For those without that set up then your form is useless.

Roy Sinclair
04-05-2004, 04:11 PM
Since a review was asked for, I'll ignore the how the html was coded part since that's been criticised already and go on the content (Note, for reference: I viewed the site using Firefox 0.8).

What's the point of the frame on the left with the non-functional Menu (stacked vertically)?

The icons buttons have too low a contrast, black on dark red doesn't show up very well.

The home page didn't tell me where I was, why I would want to be there or what I could find deeper in your site. There's not enough information on that page to give me a hint as to why I would want to stay.

sina94
04-05-2004, 11:47 PM
Thanks Nightfire, that's what I needed to know. I don't suppose anybody knows escapade and can whip me up a way to have it sent to me directly from the site? Or better yet, write itself? Lol, I'm sure that's too much to ask for.

And Roy, thanks to you too. I'm working on rewriting the menu as it is, but I'm still gonna need help getting it accessible on different browser I think. Maybe somebody can take a look at it after I get it finished.

Oh, and DesignersToolz, you might want to lay off on the ex-lax. The **** just keeps pouring out of your mouth. Good thing nightfire was here to correct you, otherwise I might have actually believed my forms were alright.

Nightfire
04-05-2004, 11:50 PM
http://www.blinded.org.uk/mailit/signup.php This'll work and you not need to know any php to run it. If you need any extra form fields in, pm me or something but dont post in here. I dont want to use these forums as a help site for this.

<edit>Site's in the middle of a server move so it might now show yet :rolleyes: Try again tomorrow</edit>

Untitled
04-06-2004, 12:30 AM
I can't say ANYTHING positive about your site, sorry...

[IF YOUíRE EASILY OFFENDED, AVERT YOUR EYES NOW]

DOCTYPES should be the last thing youíre worrying about; you need to fix everything else first.

Letís see, youíve got way too many ads; nothing says hit the back button like a page full of ads. If youíre trying to make money, look else ware for a source of income! God knows you canít make any decent money through online ads anymore.

The navigation is VERY hard to use, and it stopped working after awhile!

Thereís a truck load too many useless effects, such as the date in the status bar (most computers already have a visible clock) or the text that fades in and out. Why? Itís tacky, and ads absolutely nothing to the site. If you are trying to impress people, you arenít.

An ugly colour scheme and background (my guess is you used paint), and lastly, I can't tell what the sites about!

Please, if this is a hobby of yours, continue, but get rid off all that useless clutter!

sina94
04-06-2004, 12:51 AM
Hey, thanks for that site nightfire, got a couple questions but I'll PM ya. And could everybody settle down on what it "looks like"...at least until I get the new version up and running. Then you can ***** all you want.

missing-score
04-06-2004, 03:51 AM
I can't say ANYTHING positive about your site, sorry...

[IF YOUíRE EASILY OFFENDED, AVERT YOUR EYES NOW]

DOCTYPES should be the last thing youíre worrying about; you need to fix everything else first.

Letís see, youíve got way too many ads; nothing says hit the back button like a page full of ads. If youíre trying to make money, look else ware for a source of income! God knows you canít make any decent money through online ads anymore.

The navigation is VERY hard to use, and it stopped working after awhile!

Thereís a truck load too many useless effects, such as the date in the status bar (most computers already have a visible clock) or the text that fades in and out. Why? Itís tacky, and ads absolutely nothing to the site. If you are trying to impress people, you arenít.

An ugly colour scheme and background (my guess is you used paint), and lastly, I can't tell what the sites about!

Please, if this is a hobby of yours, continue, but get rid off all that useless clutter!

Umm... there is over the top... I know sometimes i seem a bit harsh but my intentions are usually good... This is more of a flame than a criticism! Ok you have said what you think, now how would you improve on it?

Doctypes are definately not the last thing you should worry about! Once you have your doctype in place with whatever form of markup you choose HTML, XHTML, XHTML Strict then you build your site according to that specification. Doctypes are extremely important.

Lastly Id just like to apologise if I have said anything that personally offended you sina94. I know sometimes i seem a bit harsh, I think everyone does at times, but we are only trying to help :)

sina94
04-06-2004, 02:04 PM
No, I know doctype isn't a big deal. When I figure out what I'm doing for sure I'll pick the one that's relevant. It's just that nightfire pointed it out early in the post...and I went a little haywire. He's the one that's earned the biggest ammount of my respect so far...he's pretty well rounded...when he said it was a problem I kinda went psycho. I didn't realize how big (or little) the problem was.

I think we could probably start over so nobody has the wrong impression of the other, and until I get the new version up I guess we can leave it at that.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum