View Full Version : number of files

03-19-2004, 11:40 PM
Is there a quick way of getting a number of files in a folder through javascript?

03-19-2004, 11:50 PM
Do you mean using ASP (or another JavaScript powered serverside technology) or using Windows Scripting host, or Clientside Browsers JavaScript? Because the first two can do it, but the third may not. And almost all use of JavaScript is the third kind.

03-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Um not sure. I'm not really good with asp. I need to pass a variable to flash through javascript, which would be a number of images in a folder so I can display a photo album. I want to add images without updating this number.

If theres a good asp example could you point me to it?

03-20-2004, 07:12 AM
Apart from server side.. perl php and so on..
The quick way is to use ActiveX but its only for Internet explorer and of course it is not secure, so the browser spits up a warning..
thats because if i allow your site to use activeX you could delete everything on my hard drive..so most folks are not gonna allow you to do that...

having said that i use ActiveX ALOT on my intranet..and so i do alot of files stuff with it.. thats a quick solution
other than for your own personal use, or trusted colleages.. it aint recommended to use ActiveX

There is plenty of stuff about ActiveX on the web