View Full Version : I'd like to write an ICQ-like instant messenger in python

Leprechaun
03-17-2004, 10:00 PM
Hello, everyone. I have just fallen in love with the python programming language, and want to write an ICQ-like instant messenger. Could someone give me a nudge in the right direction? I need a networking tutorial or something. Thanks.

sad69
03-19-2004, 10:29 PM
From what I understand, Python is a server-side language. You'd need more than Python to make this instant messenger.

Check out this url, it may be of help:
http://www.python.org/topics/web/

You'd need some sort of Client-side language to build the GUI and all that user interface stuff. That module on the client-side has to be able to connect to some sort of server (that you'd have to build). That server would probably be responsible for message routing to other users that are connected to the IM System.

Good luck,
Sadiq.

liorean
03-19-2004, 11:04 PM
Python, like PERL or Ruby, is a general purpose scripting language. It's available both client and server side. In fact, CGI, through which Python may work, is the general Unix scripting language interface, and is used even more clientside than serverside.

Mhtml
03-22-2004, 10:27 AM
Have a look at tk and I don't know what network comm stuff there is but I imagine there is a winsock thingy for it...

codearcher
07-20-2006, 02:13 PM
Use WxPython with Twisted

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum