View Full Version : PHP help getting started

08-07-2002, 11:09 AM
ok people, i am trying to learn as much web design coding as possible and in 6 months have learnt HTML and css and a little Javascript.

My mate suggested PHP as the next step, and i purchased a great book on it. however the book talks more about it as a programming language and doesnt give as much help as to how to incorporate it into building a website.

i basically am looking for a great tutorial or website that will take me through the 'first steps' of designing a page in PHP.

any help mucho appreciated

08-07-2002, 12:00 PM
Devshed 101 tutorials (http://www.devshed.com/Server_Side/PHP/PHP101) - listed in reverse.

Meander through them and get the hang of the coding syntax and basic methods.

Then sling php.net online manual (http://www.php.net/search.php) into your favourites folder.

Welcome to the wonderful world of PHP backend programming :)

08-07-2002, 01:59 PM
To get aquainted with PHP it's useful to think of a little project you want to realize in PHP. That will give you something to focus on and apply what you've read in manuals/tutorials directly to a real-world-problem. Probably a guestbook or a feedback form serve as good beginner projects.

And your book is quite right; PHP is about programming. You don't really "design" a page in PHP, you rather design it like you do a normal HTML page, and only at specific sections of that page you insert small PHP parts, which help with producing the desired HTML output.
For instance, you could have a <div> with a guestbooks's entry date in it. With PHP, you write a script that puts out a number of <div>s ordered by the date within. Just as an example.

08-08-2002, 09:38 AM
oh yeah baby!!! thanks a lot "Íkii". These are the best tutorials ever!! Webmonkey is also very good (for any other beginners that might be here).

All that i learnt has come into place now, as the examples shown show u how to make use of it all in a website....it's just what i was looking for.

i feel like a proper Geek now.....thanks....