View Full Version : Page looks different on different PC's??

stephenc
03-03-2004, 09:32 PM
I have a couple of sites on different hosts which I have designed. When I view them on my own PC, the font size and other attributes (eg, bold) is different from when I view them on an identical PC with identical resolution and monitor (my sons PC at home)

They look fine in design view in Dreamweaver but when I preview them, the appearance changes??

Anyone any ideas please? I know its got to be something simple but it d**ned annoying

Stephen

missing-score
03-03-2004, 09:35 PM
Is each PC running the same browser, or the same version of the browser?

gsnedders
03-03-2004, 09:39 PM
Do you have defult style sheets set so they change the text formatting?

stephenc
03-03-2004, 09:45 PM
Do you have defult style sheets set so they change the text formatting? - No, a style sheet is only used on one of them but not the other.

Is each PC running the same browser, or the same version of the browser? - Yes, both are using the same browser.

As I say, the pages look different in design view in Dreamweaver than they do when I press F12 to preview them in the Browser. They did not use to - I just noticed that this appears to have happened recently

missing-score
03-03-2004, 09:53 PM
would you be able to show us the code and maybe a screenshot of design view? Also, Design view will not always give you a 100% accurate view of what your pages will look like.

stephenc
03-03-2004, 10:18 PM
would you be able to show us the code and maybe a screenshot of design view? - I could but I dont think I can attach images......?

Also, Design view will not always give you a 100% accurate view of what your pages will look like. - I accept that, but the look has changed in a noticable manner. The font size has increased and the text appears bold

The sites are at http://www.sitedesigns4u.co.uk/ http://www.bluemoon.org.uk/index.html

Stephen

zoobie
03-04-2004, 12:08 PM
Obviously, the boxes are not identical...few are.
...and you're not going to be able to trust DW and should preview your design in the browser or on the web itself.
I noticed that, too, when I had that piece of crud...:D

stephenc
03-04-2004, 01:39 PM
OK Zoobie, I understand what you are saying, but why should the appearance suddenly differ when no changes have been made???

Stephen

pardicity3
03-04-2004, 03:19 PM
The browser's default text size on your son's computer isn't set higher than yours is it? I know this seems fairly obvious, but if you are running the same OS and same browser version, then they only think i can think of is that your son's computer has a larger default text size. As with the boldness issue, larger text can often give the appearance of being bold.

stephenc
03-04-2004, 04:59 PM
Hi pardicity3

You got it!

Many thanks for solving this baffling problem which has annoyed me for days. The browsers default size was set to 'Larger' (I'm not sure by who :-( probably me) but that was the problem.

Dont you feel a wally when its something as simple as this ..........

Many thanks to all who contributed

Stephen

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum