View Full Version : Is this possible!

Crash1hd
02-25-2004, 03:02 PM
I have been requested to figure out if there is a way to stop the messenger service IE "Net Send address message" normally I would just open up services and disable it or goto dos and type net stop messenger but that wont disable it and I have 60 machines to do this on! I was wondering if someone could help me create a batch file that would scour the network and disable this service from one machine?

Is this possible!

Roy Sinclair
02-25-2004, 08:39 PM
You have a Domain? If so, use the Policy Editor to disable that service globally.

http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;302089

Crash1hd
02-25-2004, 10:21 PM
Ok! thanks for the info but its not Windows Messenger that I am trying to disable its Messenger Service that I am trying to disable the one that you use Net send through dos to send messages to the Host name :)

liorean
02-25-2004, 10:34 PM
Control panel:Administration:Services:Messenger. Set it to inactive.

Roy Sinclair
02-25-2004, 11:22 PM
The same tool (GPEDIT) can be used to disable any service.

sage45
02-26-2004, 06:31 AM
System Key: [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Messenger]
Value Name: Start
Data Type: REG_DWORD (DWORD Value)
Value Data: (2 = automatic, 3 = enabled, 4 = disabled)

You could do many things with this...

Here is the command line to stop the service...

net stop Messenger

-sage-

Crash1hd
02-26-2004, 01:04 PM
That totally helps as I can use it in a batch file! :) or a reg file :)

Is there a way of changing the code in the registry with a batch file without needing to call the *.reg file with regedit?

velious
02-26-2004, 09:22 PM
Crash instead of useing batch files which might work. I'd suggest a visual basic script to do that for you. Unfortunalty i dont know how to code it otherwise i'd put it here.

Mhtml
02-27-2004, 12:24 AM
If I remember correctly you create a wshshell object and there is a member function to do it ... Possibly those who are still into ASP know how ..

Crash1hd
02-27-2004, 06:47 AM
Ok I was thinking of creating a vbscript to do what i wanted :) earlier today as that way I could also have a dropdown box too choose what the changes are dynamically :) but I will google that wshshell object thingy when I get home its amazing what you can find on google (its sad to hear that google is being abused and that yahoo is making a comeback) never liked yahoo lol

P.S. ASP and me are good friends so vb shouldnt be much of a problem (thats what happens when your mind goes on one track) gotta remember to think outside the box lol :) where have I heard that before..... :thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum