View Full Version : consistent font

02-16-2004, 10:55 AM
How can I make web pages with consistent font?

If a user see this font, and another user see that font on a same page, it would not be consistent.

02-16-2004, 11:33 AM
Make sure you use a font that nearly everyone has installed on their system. The ones generally excepted to be safe are:

Very Safe: Times New Roman
CourierAlmost as Safe: Georgia
Courier NewStill safe enough: Garamond
Trebuchet MS

02-16-2004, 12:53 PM
I've heard someone saying " after I put the target font into the server, everyone can see same look ."

Is it true?

03-20-2004, 12:35 AM
Because the whole point about css is that it's user-led. In other words, Mr Colourblind Myopic can't quite read the screen in the lovely colors you've laid out for him, so he goes into his options screen and alters his browser-look to his own preference.

This means that the words come out in 200%, and the colours revert to a safe black on white. Very boring, and throws your layout down the drain. So why are we bothering? Because we're hoping that not everyone has the same preferences as Mr C Myopic!

Me': You gave a lovely list of web-safe fonts; do you know if 'Symbol' is safe enough for me to use?

03-20-2004, 12:45 AM
Me': You gave a lovely list of web-safe fonts; do you know if 'Symbol' is safe enough for me to use?

I'm updating an old page from mega-tagged html into css+xhtml, and I can't get a working equivalent for
<FONT face="Symbol">abc</FONT>.

I've tried css:
class {font-family: symbol;} and I've tried using a capital S, with and without quotemarks - any other ideas? Does it have a different name, or should it be in some other property? Nothing springs to mind, though...

03-20-2004, 12:47 AM
Thats true, however there is a way to put a font on the server and link to it in CSS... Cant remember for the life of me how to do it, but I know there is.

But Gabrielle is right, its very easy to set your own stylesheet prefrence, which is why I try and make designs that will work with increased font sizes. (Ive actually managed to get my latest layout keep formatting at 500%). You can set whatever font you like and have it on your server if you really want to go that abstract, as long as your design works and looks ok with a backup font.

03-20-2004, 12:50 AM
I would automatically go for:

<span style="font-family: symbol;font-size: 2em;">Symbol Text</span>

However I dont know if that will work, it looks like it should. (P.S: 2em so you can see it big enough to know what font it is)

03-20-2004, 12:56 AM
I would really, really avoid symbol if I were you. It's not only different between windows, linux and mac, it's different between different versions of mac and distros of linux. So, don't use it.

On the other hand, here's a nice little page when it comes to fonts: <http://jeffcroft.com/blog/archives/000133.php>

03-20-2004, 03:51 AM
i think this is how you provide fonts for others to use: http://www.microsoft.com/typography/web/embedding/default.htm?fname=%20&fsize=

03-20-2004, 12:56 PM
I found my answer. I only wanted to provide a &Sigma; sign, so I've just given a numerical entity instead of trying to change font. I got the idea from one of the urls you posted earlier.

Thanks, and good luck embedding your font!