View Full Version : Cross-Browser Compatability issues.

02-07-2004, 04:20 PM
As I've not been a big fan of Netscape or other browsers throughout the years, I've purposly limited my views to IE when designing sites for my personal use...however, I am going to be designing a site for a busniess soon, and I would like to know some of the basic things I need to watch for from browser-to-browser. I want it to look good everywhere.

02-09-2004, 12:17 AM
The only thing I can say is

IE == Hell;

Ok in all seriousness, there are a lot of discrepancies among the browsers, especially when it comes to IE and how it handles css layouts. Your best bet is to go ahead and read up on the IE Box Model Hack (http://www.tantek.com/CSS/Examples/boxmodelhack.html).

02-09-2004, 04:07 AM
Now days, IE is the one lagging behind. If it looks correct on IE but wrong in all the other browsers, then the code is wrong and IE is giving you the benifit of the doubt.

You really should try out Mozilla Firebird, or any other standards compliant browser; the tabbed browsing alone is awsome.

02-09-2004, 06:05 AM

The recommended procedure nowadays is to code for standards-compliant browsers (i.e. Mozilla, moz-based Netscape, Opera, etc.) and then fix the issues brought up in non-compliant browsers (i.e., I.E... whoops, kind of a pun there :)). A big example of this is when writing your CSS...

02-09-2004, 04:09 PM
This website lists CSS bugs for various browsers & versions, as well as any workarounds... It's a start!