View Full Version : Does JS talk w/other programs?

Codin_away
02-06-2004, 11:20 PM
Hi, I'm a db app. developer and I am re-writing some helps in javascript & HTML. The Javascript is for form flow and design and HTML just to display the helps. I use a seperate app. development platform and need to communicate between it and Javascript. Does javascript write to memory variables that are accessible to other programs? I know the "other programs" part is up to me but does JS write to something that is used to communicate to non-browser programs?

thanks,
codin_away.

Codin_away
02-07-2004, 05:56 PM
not trying to be a annoying for everyone but I'm thinking of writing a file communicating information. This obviously not ideal but can anyone think of anything better?

Philip M
02-08-2004, 04:12 PM
As no-one else more expert than I am has replied,
I would say that Javascript cannot access or write out anything to a file except cookies. I believe that these cookies can be accessed by Perl, php and so forth. But they are very limited in the kind and amount of data that they can contain.

Codin_away
02-08-2004, 06:09 PM
actually I'm already using javascript to save the contents of a html page, the thing is I'm letting them create that HTML page and then saving it. That's what/how I would save a file and communicate with the other program.

So, unless someone else answers that pretty much settles it for me, I'll use writing files to do this.

liorean
02-08-2004, 06:37 PM
You may use ActiveX objects for some kinds of interaction, but I know very little about that. Try searchin google for ActiveX interaction with to the program in question, with 'site:msdn.microsoft.com' as one of the search terms.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum