View Full Version : Hide link on status bar problem

Lionel
02-01-2004, 02:32 PM
All the scripts that I found on dynamic drive and elsewhere about hiding the link display on status bar have a problem. Onmouseover they work fine, the link is hidden. HOWEVER, if you click on the link without releasing it, the link displays. This is happening only on first time you do it. After that it will not display.

I tried event.CLICK but it will always display the link. Here is the code that I am using (pretty useless since you can display the link in status bar). Can someone please help?

<script>
function hidestatus(){
window.status=''
return true
}
if (document.layers)
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)
document.onmouseover=hidestatus
document.onmouseout=hidestatus
</script>

Vladdy
02-01-2004, 02:45 PM
Why would you mess with the status bar in the first place?

Lionel
02-01-2004, 02:57 PM
Purpose of the script is to hide links, right? I am using in an intranet where right click and view source have been disabled. Most of thee links are activeX, and I don't want for people to see it.

Vladdy
02-01-2004, 04:02 PM
Yeah, right, disabled.... :rolleyes:

Lionel
02-01-2004, 04:34 PM
you are not too helpful.... :confused:

Garadon
02-01-2004, 04:54 PM
document.onmousedown=hidestatus
document.onmouseup=hidestatus
document.onmouseclick=hidestatus

Vladdy
02-01-2004, 05:29 PM
You do not understand client side scripting and client side security.
Whatever you are trying to protect with those silly scripts does not hide anything from a knowledgeable person and does nothing but annoy the rest of the users, because it takes away the browsing tools they are used to.
You need to define what your security risks are and take care of them on the server side. It does not really matter if it is intranet or internet. The only thing that you control on the intranet is the browser choice. The fact that you are attempting to implement those features says that you can not trust the users inside and security needs to be taken seriously.

Lionel
02-01-2004, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by Garadon

Thanks. I had tried that. That does not work.

Garadon
02-01-2004, 07:31 PM
This sure blocks everything in my IE browser.

<script>
function hidestatus(){
window.status=''
return true
}
if (document.layers)
document.captureEvents(Event.MOUSEOVER | Event.MOUSEOUT)

Lionel
02-01-2004, 08:28 PM
it works for me too, except that when you click the first time and hold it, the full link is displayed. After that there are no problems. It is just the first time.

egquen2000
02-02-2004, 03:13 AM
Here, try this. Works for me.

<HEAD>

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="JavaScript">

<!-- Begin
function url() {
hidden = open('http://www.yourwebsite.com/','NewWindow','top=0,left=0,width=1020,height=710,status=no,resizable=yes,scrollbars=yes');
}

// any of the above window parameters can be changed,
// but if you want the link to remain hidden do not
// change 'status=no'

// End -->
</script>

</HEAD>

<BODY>

<a href="javascript:url()">Your link</a

glenngv
02-02-2004, 04:18 AM
Originally posted by Lionel
Purpose of the script is to hide links, right? I am using in an intranet where right click and view source have been disabled. Most of thee links are activeX, and I don't want for people to see it.

http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm

Lionel
02-02-2004, 05:22 AM
thanks egquen2000, but that would not work for me as the window is the opener from a VB program.

And to all the clowns out there, this is being used in a totally controlled cybercafe environment where the windows shell has been taken over by another shell. Registry has been edited and even 'save as' has been disabled. plus many more protection. And that html page is not accessible to the outside world.

So before trying to be smart and unhelpful, you might want to open up your horizons a bit and stop behaving as morons, calling what you do not know 'silly scripts' or placing stupid links.

Paul Jr
02-02-2004, 05:29 AM
Originally posted by glenngv
http://www.vortex-webdesign.com/help/hidesource.htm
Lol. :D :p :thumbsup:

Willy Duitt
02-02-2004, 05:37 AM
Originally posted by Lionel
thanks egquen2000, but that would not work for me as the window is the opener from a VB program.

And to all the clowns out there, this is being used in a totally controlled cybercafe environment where the windows shell has been taken over by another shell. Registry has been edited and even 'save as' has been disabled. plus many more protection. And that html page is not accessible to the outside world.

So before trying to be smart and unhelpful, you might want to open up your horizons a bit and stop behaving as morons, calling what you do not know 'silly scripts' or placing stupid links.

If you managed to control all you say you have.
Why haven't you completely disabled the status bar thru the registry?

.....Willy

BTW: Insulting the very people you are asking to help you :rolleyes:

glenngv
02-02-2004, 08:21 AM
Had you explained the environment at once, I guess you would have gotten more "gentle" answers, if not better. :rolleyes: :p

For more controlled environment, why not make the html pages as HTAs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/hta/overview/htaoverview.asp)?

Lionel
02-02-2004, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Willy Duitt
If you managed to control all you say you have.
Why haven't you completely disabled the status bar thru the registry?

.....Willy

BTW: Insulting the very people you are asking to help you :rolleyes:

thank you for your answer Willy. Disabling the status in registry is not the solution, as it will disable it for all pages. I am looking to do so only for one single page where I have sensitive coding in the links.

Sorry if you took it as an insult, but these very people were not really helping with their sarcasm. I really tought I was going to find professionals here.

Lionel
02-02-2004, 09:37 AM

For more controlled environment, why not make the html pages as HTAs (http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/default.asp?url=/workshop/author/hta/overview/htaoverview.asp)?

Hum... HTA. interesting. I am not too familiar with it, but I'll take a look. That could be the solution.

I am using those links to run executables. And in those executables there are paths, pipes, codes etc... With AptiveX the executable is opening up programs from a window machine when you click on those links, instead of attempting to download them as a link would normally do.

I thought that Java scripting would have been the fastest and easiest solution, but obviously it is not.

Anyway, again, I am sorry if some people took offense. It was kind of irritating to see some people swaying away from the professionalism I kind of expected here, instead of jumping to childish conclusion and sacarsms.

glenngv
02-02-2004, 10:08 AM
Because the nature of your question has been discussed extensively in this forum.

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4437

You can't blame us to react that way. :D

Lionel
02-02-2004, 10:24 AM
Because the nature of your question has been discussed extensively in this forum.

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4437

You can't blame us to react that way. :D

it's ok, I had the same reaction from people telling me that it was impossible to run an executable from a link, and that the question has been asked over and over.... yet, it is done everyday. ;)

Roy Sinclair
02-02-2004, 05:27 PM
Getting past the acromony and back onto the subject, I would definitely spend time researching HTAs (HTML Applications). Go to the Microsoft site and search on those terms, you gain a lot of additional control with HTAs and for a use like you're talking about that's probably the way you want to go.

Lionel
02-02-2004, 06:17 PM
Yes I think so too. I wonder if a unix server will recognize that extension?

I do have one reservation. That page is on the web, and with simple PHP coding, if the request is not from within a range of public IP (mine for DHCP), it redirects you to another page (because of the aptiveX taking over users environment, I can't make them public). I wonder if I could do that with HTA also?

Roy Sinclair
02-02-2004, 08:40 PM
HTAs live within some limitations to prevent their being used via the internet where they could cause some significant damage and from the sound of what you just described you may be outside their limitations already.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum