View Full Version : Review my site - hsteu

gsnedders
01-30-2004, 06:57 PM
http://hsteu.57host.biz

Spookster
01-30-2004, 07:20 PM
Not to point out the obvious but you might want to fix this part:

Database Error
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

MySQL Error : Database Error
Error Number: 1049 Unknown database 'link92_book1'
Date : Fri, January 30, 2004 11:19:06
IP : 65.87.142.230
Browser : Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows NT 5.1)
Referer : http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=32430
PHP Version : 4.3.3
Server : Apache/1.3.29 (Unix) mod_auth_passthrough/1.8 mod_log_bytes/1.2 mod_bwlimited/1.2 PHP/4.3.3 FrontPage/5.0.2.2634 mod_ssl/2.8.16 OpenSSL/0.9.7a
Server Name : www.hsteu.57host.biz
Script Name : /index.php

Spookster
01-30-2004, 07:23 PM
And I hereby forbid you from ever using this tag again

<CENTER></CENTER>

gsnedders
01-30-2004, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Spookster
And I hereby forbid you from ever using this tag again

<CENTER></CENTER>

Why?

gsnedders
01-30-2004, 07:37 PM
I had never seen that before, it wasn't there 3 days ago, but now I have deleted what was creating that

Originally posted by Spookster
Not to point out the obvious but you might want to fix this part:

Vladdy
01-30-2004, 08:05 PM
When did you make? 5 years ago?
Delete what you got, learn the current state of technology and start over.

gsnedders
01-30-2004, 09:23 PM
Originally posted by Vladdy
When did you make? 5 years ago?
Delete what you got, learn the current state of technology and start over.

2 Months ago and how about giving me a comment of what atually to do.

liorean
01-30-2004, 09:39 PM
Use CSS for presentation. Use HTML for describing the content. Stop using the presentational tags that are removed from Strict: dir
menu
center
isindex
applet
font
basefont
s
strike
u
iframe
noframes Try to avoid using the deprecated presentational tags: sub sup big small tt i bUse tables for tabular data only. Use tags for what they are intended for (this includes avoiding overuse of div and span as well). Validate your pages. Never use a tag because of it's default presentation, use it because it's the appropriate tag for the situation. Do as little with JavaScript as possible, and never rely on JavaScript for critical functionality - let JavaScript be an additional user service instead of being necessary. And code for the standards compliant browsers first, then correct for iew's and iem's quirks, instead of the other way around. Test your JavaScripts in moz, op7 and ie5.0w, ie5.5w, ie6w. Test your style in the same browsers, and preferably in saf and ie5m too, if you have a mac to test it on.

gsnedders
01-30-2004, 09:57 PM
liorean, It is not testing it on a mac which is hard, because I use one for everything, it is testing on Windows I cannot do.

gsnedders
01-30-2004, 09:57 PM
What do you think of this template - http://freesitetemplates.com/templates/samples/171/

gsnedders
01-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Opera 6 mac does not display the page correctly

Vladdy
01-30-2004, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by Error 404
2 Months ago and how about giving me a comment of what atually to do.
What to do:
Step 1: Delete everything you got (save content in a text file)
Step 2: Learn the current state of technology (HTML 4.01 Strict - XHTML 1.0 Strict - XHTML 1.1, CSS2, Accessibility guidlines)
Step 3: Start over.

Roy Sinclair
01-30-2004, 10:00 PM
Your request for more specifics is reasonable. I suggest that you turn ON the display of Javascript errors in IE and then visit your page. You get two javascript errors as the page loads, not a good thing, it's possible your hosting service may be the source of those errors so you may want to contact them if you find your code is all ok.

Before I go beyond that, you should know that what you've written is functional and usable by the vast majority of users on the web and much of the content on the web right now suffers from the same problems. You aren't alone and the comments that follow aren't personal, feel free to challenge any suggestions for the "why should I do that?". The purpose of the comments are to help you learn.

Your page uses lots of deprecated (that's a funny word for obsolete) tags and constructs. Back when HTML was a new concept there was very little you could do in a web page to control the look of the page. As new versions of HTML were developed a number of tags and properties for tags were added to give the developer control over the look of the page. The table tag was also found to be very useful for organizing the page and was quickly adopted by developers everywhere.

The problem with the proliferation of tags and properties is that web pages became so complex the actual content for the page is almost always overwhelmed by the code for the presentation of the content.

The answer to that problem was to reduce HTML back to it's roots as a carrier of content, using tags that give meaning to the content and separating out the presentational information into an entirely new language. The result of that was the "deprecation" of the presentation HTML code and properties plus the creation of a presentational language known as Cascading Style Sheets (CSS).

Initially, CSS simply didn't live up to it's billing so even though the CSS specification was already in place during the building of nearly everything that's on the web today it was all still done the same as before because the browsers in use simply didn't handle CSS well enough.

With the current browsers though it's now possible to perform the separation of content from presentation and those of us who've "seen the light" are trying to explain the benefits to the rest of the world.

There are several additional threads in this forum which explain much more about this topic, if you're interested let us know and we'll link you up to them :) .

Vladdy
01-30-2004, 10:01 PM
What do you think of this template - http://freesitetemplates.com/templates/samples/171/
Graphics are OK
Coding sucks

gsnedders
01-30-2004, 10:06 PM
Heres the good news, the script errors are from the High Speed Train Webring code, however, as much as I would like to delete because of this, I will lose most of the people coming to my site.

gsnedders
01-30-2004, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by Vladdy
Graphics are OK
Coding sucks

Just had a look at it myself, I'm not getting it now!

gsnedders
01-31-2004, 02:18 PM
I am about to convert the site to CSS

gsnedders
02-01-2004, 02:44 PM
Converted to CSS

Stuart H
02-03-2004, 12:27 AM
logo placement should have more space provided.
Looks ok though.

mindlessLemming
02-03-2004, 12:40 AM
Converted to CSS

Umm, hate to break it to you bro, but you haven't really....
Your page is still full of the dreaded <font> tag amongst other things.

gsnedders
02-04-2004, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by mindlessLemming
Umm, hate to break it to you bro, but you haven't really....
Your page is still full of the dreaded <font> tag amongst other things.

Having done more it is now almost, almost free of them.

mqcarpenter
02-05-2004, 02:38 PM

It is a template. Do not use templates...

Stuart H
02-05-2004, 03:28 PM
You had us all going like it was you who designed it!

Well spotted mqcarpenter.

gsnedders
02-05-2004, 09:16 PM
Originally posted by Stuart H
You had us all going like it was you who designed it!

Well spotted mqcarpenter.

First of all I designed it, that was just a post because my site looked horrible then, but now it does not, so I did now have to use it.

End Of Story.
I designed it.

gsnedders
02-06-2004, 11:44 PM
Is there anything else to change?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum