View Full Version : Writing to local disk using JavaScript

Jerome Arnold
08-02-2002, 10:06 PM
Is there a method to write to the local disk using JavaScript ?

scroots
08-02-2002, 10:07 PM
i beleive it is impossible unless you want it written as a cookie.

scroots

jkd
08-02-2002, 10:15 PM
Use the privilegeManager and LiveConnect to do it in Netscape, and WSH FileSystem objects through ActiveX for IE.

I don't have any examples offhand, but I also can't imagine why you'd need to write something to their hard drive... unless this is for intranet purposes or something.

Jerome Arnold
08-02-2002, 10:21 PM
Originally posted by jkd
Use the privilegeManager and LiveConnect to do it in Netscape, and WSH FileSystem objects through ActiveX for IE.

I don't have any examples offhand, but I also can't imagine why you'd need to write something to their hard drive... unless this is for intranet purposes or something.

this situation is for a user connected to a remote server, except that the server goes down. in this case the user can access an HTML form and enter info that will be printed. i want to write some of the info to disk, so that it can be recalled when needed by the user.

JohnKrutsch
08-02-2002, 11:08 PM
If you are just talking about some basic form information then cookies would be the way to go.

joh6nn
08-03-2002, 03:18 AM
i've done work with the Windows Scripting Host ActiveX controls. they can only really be effectively used on an intranet, or IE's default security settings will block them. I've never used Live Connect in Netscape, but i've heard that IE doesn't like the Java that opens file. What it comes down to, is that as far as i know, there's no easy crossbrowser way to write to files to the client side.

if you're only going to save information about forms, then like John said, a cookie is the way to go.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum