View Full Version : Email a Web Page

amy2go
08-01-2002, 09:02 PM
I would like to be able to email a fully formatted HTML page. I know this can be done since I receive the news, etc, as a web page, but I don't know how to include that in my code, or even where to begin. Can someone please point me to a tutorial or something? (I know this is probably a basic question, but for some reason it eludes me)

Amy

Tonz
08-01-2002, 11:47 PM
Hi there.

We are just developing this as a service to our clients, so hopefully I can help.

One of the ways is to...

Open Outlook Express / new mail.

In the "new Mail" window..

Go to Format and change from plain text to Rich text (html).

From there you are in an "generator".

You can select source code and add style sheets/ tables / images / anything else.

I tend to cut and paste the source code to note pad and "save as" as a backup.

Once you have finished editing the page, you have two options.

a) save in note pad and when you want to send, cut and paste into the "New Mail" as above.

b) "Save as Stationary" .
When you are ready to send, in the main Outlook page go to "tools / Options / compose " Under "stationary" click the box then "select". You will get a box with all the standard stationary, plus the file you created. Obvious from there.

Restart Outlook, select "new mail" and the page should open with the new "stationary" you selected.

This is how I have done it, there may be a better way?!?!

Hope this makes sense and helps.

Tonz

:cool:

totalhosting
08-05-2002, 07:58 PM
Hi Amy.

If you are going to go the "outlook" route, just make sure you put all the names of the recipients into the BCC section, otherwise you will be exposing everyone on your list to each other.

And let me tell you, you will NEVER do it a second time.

Your best bet is to use an email generating/subscription service.

One that I am currently using for some clients is called "Subscribe 2" from MvCOOL.com. However, you need to have the Miva Empressa engine installed on your web server to use it. Check with your web host and see if they have it installed.

HTML email is a tricky thing. Studies (yeah, I know) show that plain ASCII email is still the most preferred type. Your host should have at least a mail-list server of some kind for you to use.

If you are asking people to subscribe, give them the option to:

1) choose the format of their email ASCII or HTML
2) unsubscribe very easily

Otherwise, check out HotScripts.com for an email subscription manager.

HTH

Pete

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum