View Full Version : small font size and bold and arial face

01-12-2004, 08:28 PM
Please advise why I cant get bold to work with font size -2 and face Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif? If I change my font size to -1 it works. But it doesnt seem to work with -2.

<font size="-2" face="Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif"><strong>information here</strong></font>

Roy Sinclair
01-12-2004, 10:01 PM
The FONT tag is obsolete and should never be used for any new pages or for any updates to any existing pages.

<style type="text/css">
font-family: Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif;
font-size: 50%;
font-weight: bold;

<span class="emphasized">information here</span>

Obviously you can change the percentage for "font-size" to make it larger or smaller or you can change it to EM, PX or PT units for more precise control of it's size.

01-12-2004, 10:40 PM
Or even better, figure out *why* you're trying to make the text smaller, and use a better tag than span.

Example: it's a quote from another page, so use <blockquote> or <q> depending on whether it's an inline quote or a block level quote.

01-12-2004, 10:57 PM
*ahem* Now to actually answer the question.

Depending on your operating system and browser, some fonts will have a size below which they cannot be displayed in boldface. For Arial it is about 10px (or -2 using your font tag).

You can use the CSS methods described above to gain greater control over your font size using percentages or fixed pixel sizes. This yields better results than what the deprecated font tag offers.

If you have a real need to make text very small and still distinguishable between normal and boldface, you might consider rendering the text as a graphic image.