View Full Version : Adding a menu link without having to edit all pages?

barnettgs
01-11-2004, 12:28 AM
I wanted to know if there is a way to add a link to nav menu without having to edit all the page. Could it be possible with using CSS style? Thanks

rmedek
01-11-2004, 07:55 AM
hmmm... don't think so... CSS is for style, so you could, say, change the appearance of the navigation without having to edit all your pages, but not add a link. You could try frames or server side includes (http://www.wdvl.com/Authoring/SSI/) .

-Rich

sage45
01-11-2004, 08:05 AM
One of two ways that you can accomplish this:

1. Make your website into a frame based website and use just one frame for the navigation...

-or-

2. Use a javascript file to generate the code that represents your menu and just reference the file on each page... i.e. -

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript" SRC="blahmenu.js"></SCRIPT>

-sage-

Paul Jr
01-11-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by sage45
2. Use a javascript file to generate the code that represents your menu and just reference the file on each page... i.e. -

<SCRIPT LANGUAGE="Javascript" SRC="blahmenu.js"></SCRIPT>

-sage-
This wouldn't be such a good idea, IMO, because users who do not have JS enabled will not see your navigation.

barnettgs
01-11-2004, 07:13 PM
Hmmm, I think iframe is probably the only way to go without using CMS. Another way I know is using Dreamweaver templates but uploading all files required if template edited.

Paul Jr
01-11-2004, 07:38 PM
PHP, Or SSI? (http://www.webdevfaqs.com/php.php#include)

barnettgs
01-11-2004, 10:04 PM
Right, it sounds simple using:

<?PHP
include "include.php";
?>

I have tried using a link for more info but it shows server errors...so how can I use the code provided? Thanks

Paul Jr
01-12-2004, 03:28 AM
Make sure your server supports PHP.
Make sure the page with the include on it has a .php extension.

Also, if your server doesn't support PHP, check to see if it supports SSI.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum