View Full Version : border question

jeskel
01-05-2004, 09:28 PM
Dear CSS knowledgeable people,

I might have a few questions that might be easy to answer in the next few days. I apologize because I know that I could do it myself. However my free time is so limited these days that I can't take time to learn the needed CSS tricks and make sure that I am not going something that could look bad on some browsers or something like that. As soon as possible I will take time to learn it. I swear ;).

Here goes the question. how can I do a border like the one in the attachement? I would like to try with two borders (as shown on the .gif) and one. Can anyone give help?

thanx

COBOLdinosaur
01-06-2004, 12:12 AM
About the closest you can get using code is something like:
<div style="border:3px dashed blue;width:100px;height:100px;padding:2px">
<div style="border:3px dashed blue;width:91px;height:91px"> hello</div></div>

But that is very inadvisable. Trying to create strange border effects is best done with graphics, or use the ones that already exists and avoid the hassle of tryign to get everything to line up correctly under all conditions.

jeskel
01-06-2004, 12:19 PM
thanx a lot. I am just using dashed instead of solid. I kept only one border. It works great. Anyone could tell me how to add space between the dashes?

mindlessLemming
01-06-2004, 12:27 PM
LOL:D
I'm still waiting for IE to support dotted borders and you want to know if you can change the distance between dashes...?

jeskel
01-06-2004, 04:09 PM
lol... you're right. Forgive my enthusiasm ;) But don't tell me that dashed is not supported by some browsers........?

me'
01-06-2004, 09:10 PM
Originally posted by jeskel
Anyone could tell me how to add space between the dashes? Can't be done.

jeskel
01-06-2004, 09:45 PM
and about browsers and dashed borders? Any of them that could not support this?

mindlessLemming
01-06-2004, 11:59 PM
They all support dashed, but IE doesn't support dotted borders.
Chalk up point number 67, 897 on the list of reason's why IE sucks.

Paul Jr
01-07-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by mindlessLemming
IE doesn't support dotted borders.
It doesn't? Seems to work fine for me...

mindlessLemming
01-07-2004, 12:36 AM
WOW!
I want your version of IE.
Check the image I've attached...;)

jeskel
01-07-2004, 12:39 PM
thanx for the confirmation!

Originally posted by mindlessLemming
They all support dashed, but IE doesn't support dotted borders.
Chalk up point number 67, 897 on the list of reason's why IE sucks.
I seem to remember that you had a signature that was clearly showing your disaproval to IE existence ;)

me'
01-07-2004, 07:02 PM
It supports them (I think), just not very well. At all. At all at all. It's very buggy.

Paul Jr
01-07-2004, 09:58 PM
Hmmm... seems to work as long as you stay above 1px for the border width.

brothercake
01-07-2004, 11:17 PM
No dotted borders don't work in IE - it draw the same as what it draws for "dashed"

mindlessLemming
01-08-2004, 12:41 AM
Thanks for putting that to rest brothercake, I think people must have thought I doctored the .gif I posted earlier:p

Paul Jr
01-08-2004, 01:16 AM
Originally posted by brothercake
No dotted borders don't work in IE - it draw the same as what it draws for "dashed"
Dotted borders, for me, seem to work just fine as long as you're above 1px for the width. If you drop down to 1px, it looks just about the same as a dashed border, except it's thinner.

realisis
01-08-2004, 09:04 AM
brothercake wrote:

That's incorrect. In my tests dotted and dashed are clearly different in IE 5+, except at the aforementioned 1px.

IE dots do differ from other browsers though: IE shows them as actual rounded dots, whereas Netscape, etc shows them as pixel-squares.

I've attached a screenshot of IE's output, or if you prefer, test it yourself (http://www.realisis.ca/tags/borders.html).

(note: browser data referred to on the linked page were obtained on Windows... and page is still somewhat under construction, but what the heck).

brothercake
01-09-2004, 11:32 PM
Ah I see - I was going on a 1px border cos I seldom use fatter ones. Ta :)

liorean
01-09-2004, 11:43 PM
Well, in fact iew does support 1px dotted borders. If you make a document with a few, you'll see that a slow scroll revealing such a border will render it correct. However, a non-smooth scroll or a scroll where a large portion has to be rendered at once seems to only draw the border as something that isn't dashed, but isn't dotted either. The problem seems to be that iew uses dots that are not a single pixel large at 1 px, and at less than 1 px the rendering gets weird.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum