View Full Version : What does 2004 have in for CF?

SDP2006
01-02-2004, 04:16 PM
So, what kinda changes are there gonna be in 2004, WA?

Just interested what the new year will bring :)

- S

oracleguy
01-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Hopefully VB3.

Alex Vincent
01-03-2004, 05:43 AM
Originally posted by SDP2006
Just interested what the new year will bring :)

An extra day. :D

jeskel
01-03-2004, 07:30 PM
Originally posted by oracleguy
Hopefully VB3.
Indeed. It should be the next step of CF evolution: http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=160138#post160138

;)

jkd
01-03-2004, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Alex Vincent
An extra day. :D

But not an extra second.

WA
01-04-2004, 12:07 AM
Well, the biggest change will be an upgrade to VB3, and with that, a trickling down of additional changes (ie: most likely a few new mods and perhaps a couple of categories). VBulletin.com is experiencing some accessibility problems lately though, and that may push back their VB3 release date. It was to be February I believe.

jeskel
01-04-2004, 12:49 AM
If you want to wait for Gold it might take some time... But RC1 has been released yesterday.

<edit>
I am spending night and days on my vB Gamma and now RC1 so if you're stuck with something on tweaking it... Don't hesitate to ask me. Maybe I'll be helpful. Maybe not :)
</edit>

whackaxe
01-04-2004, 05:47 PM
user submitted skins anyone?

me'
01-04-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by jkd
But not an extra second. No, 86,400 of them.

WA
01-05-2004, 12:15 AM
Originally posted by jeskel
If you want to wait for Gold it might take some time... But RC1 has been released yesterday.

<edit>
I am spending night and days on my vB Gamma and now RC1 so if you're stuck with something on tweaking it... Don't hesitate to ask me. Maybe I'll be helpful. Maybe not :)
</edit>

Thanks jeskel for the offer. I don't anticipate any problems with the upgrade, just that I want to avoid the hassle of doing multiple updates between now and a fully stable/secure VB3. I just noticed vBulletin released a security fix to RC1, which is the kind of issue I'm talking about.

jeskel
01-05-2004, 12:18 AM
You're welcome :)

Originally posted by WA
Well, the biggest change will be an upgrade to VB3, and with that, a trickling down of additional changes (ie: most likely a few new mods and perhaps a couple of categories).
Hey if tere is a General Chat I could mod it. lol. :p

Mhtml
01-05-2004, 05:29 PM
It's been tried before, chances of it happening again are pretty slim ;)..

jeskel
01-05-2004, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Mhtml
It's been tried before, chances of it happening again are pretty slim ;)..
what happened?

Nightfire
01-05-2004, 11:02 PM
Let's just say, chaos happened ;) More people were 'talking' in the pit than helping out in the forums, flaming, and everything else you can think of, went off

oracleguy
01-06-2004, 01:52 AM
Yeah, I remember some good times in the pit. Got quite a few laughs. What had happened is that it was too expensive, over half the monthly server traffic went to the general chat. So it had to be removed.

whackaxe
01-06-2004, 09:14 AM
ahh, back in the day of WSabstract wasn't it... thats was a while ago.

jeskel
01-06-2004, 09:49 AM
I wish I knew that time... seems like it was fun ;)

liorean
01-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Yeah, it was fun. Thinking back to it, I actually came here for advice back then, and JKD solved my problems at a glance...

jeskel
01-06-2004, 05:13 PM
I just can't believe that there was flaming............

me'
01-06-2004, 05:36 PM
Originally posted by liorean
I actually came here for advice back then, and JKD solved my problems at a glance... Sounds like the dark ages... *shudders*

jeskel
01-06-2004, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by me'
Sounds like the dark ages... *shudders*
you were probably not born since you are 14! :p

jkd
01-06-2004, 11:11 PM
Originally posted by me'
Sounds like the dark ages... *shudders*

Ouch. :p

liorean
01-06-2004, 11:28 PM
Ah, come on. That was three years ago or something, and my questions would probably have gone over the head of most regulars on these forums today.

jeskel
01-07-2004, 12:24 AM
tell me more about the flaming... It sounds impossible to me. I mean... I always see like... let's say between 15 and 20 users hangin here all the time and they are all gentlemen. Who were the flamers? ;) Any famous CF name to give? :p

brothercake
01-07-2004, 01:02 AM
Don't tempt me ;) I have to show restraint these days..

But Jason and I used to have some edgy discussions.. back in the days when I was still lost in IE-centricity

Skyzyx
01-07-2004, 01:38 AM
Originally posted by liorean
That was three years ago or something...

If my memory serves me correctly (and it might not), I think it was spring or summer 2002. I remember creating links on my website to the various WA forums, and two days later they didn't work because it was all switched over to CodingForums.com.

I remember because I was working on "Element 3" (http://www.skyzyx.com/portfolio/element3/) at the time.

jkd
01-07-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by brothercake

But Jason and I used to have some edgy discussions.. back in the days when I was still lost in IE-centricity

Really? Wow, I honestly don't remember. I seem to be able to remember threads I wasn't involved with particuarly well (in general), but am completely lost when I need to think of what I said a few years ago. Selective long-term memory I guess. Oh well. :D

brothercake
01-07-2004, 04:09 AM
Well I'm sure you can imagine ... someone as forceful as I can be, standing four-square in favour of tag-soup, IE-proprietary arcana, what's the point of semantic XHTML, mozilla sucks ... etc ...

Caffeine
01-07-2004, 08:58 AM
Was it that much flaming ?
I don't remember it that way, I hardly remember any flaming at all, maybe it's been too long.
I do remember that I managed to flame someone[he was a spammer & deserved it :p j/k] in one of the last started threads before the shutdown, I also remember someone publishing some really nasty pictures [very bad taste, they were disgusting]

The bad things aside, the pit was over all a nice place to chit-chat, didn't someone put up an own webboard to keep the pit 'alive' after it was closed here at CF [WA] ?

I'd like to think that the members of CF have matured since then and IF [I'm not counting on it nor expecting it to] the pit-II would re-open, no flaming would occur this time around.

edit: Just snapped up the url to the Pit from ReadMe.txt's signature !
http://the-pit.net/

/end of this off-topic post/

Roelf
01-07-2004, 09:19 AM
Originally posted by Skyzyx
If my memory serves me correctly (and it might not), I think it was spring or summer 2002. I remember creating links on my website to the various WA forums, and two days later they didn't work because it was all switched over to CodingForums.com.

I remember because I was working on "Element 3" (http://www.skyzyx.com/portfolio/element3/) at the time.
march 2002, i remember because my daughter was born march 20, and i had to post in the new webmasters pit (http://www.the-pit.net/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi)

liorean
01-07-2004, 11:50 AM
Originally posted by Skyzyx
If my memory serves me correctly (and it might not), I think it was spring or summer 2002. I remember creating links on my website to the various WA forums, and two days later they didn't work because it was all switched over to CodingForums.com.Oh, I wasn't talking about the changeover, I was talking about the time (back in the dark ages, at least in the browser world) about three years ago when I came to WA forums for the first time.

jeskel
01-08-2004, 08:21 AM
Originally posted by brothercake

So you guys were talking about it in the pit? That's what I call dedication! Respect!

whackaxe
01-08-2004, 02:06 PM
i wasn't on the WA forums much at all actually. i just got a bit of help two or three times in javascript back in the day i though having a homepage was actually usefull for something :p

liorean
01-08-2004, 02:56 PM
George:
When CF changes over to vB3, do you think you could change the thread urls to contain at most one query string by default (ie if you just click the thread name, it should only contain a thread identifier query and nothing else, in difference to how it works today) or take some other meassure to make these forums googleable? In addition to adding these forums to the search results in google you would probably make more people find these forums that way.

whackaxe
01-08-2004, 06:52 PM
/me repeats himself

user made skins?

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum