View Full Version : javascript bug....

Vermelh0
07-31-2002, 11:34 PM
I've been pouring hours into a script, wondering why it was no longer working and then I figured "wait a minute, maybe it's not my fault." And guess what, it isn't. I think I've been able to isolate the bug, but why does it happen? The problem is with the IE's date object and todays date 2002-07-31. The set/get month functions go haywire and do not return proper values.
Here's a sample function:

function doanything()
{
today = new Date(2002, 07, 31, 0, 0, 0);
today.setMonth(10);
alert(today.getDate()+'/'+(today.getMonth()+1)+'/'+today.getFullYear());
today.setMonth(9);
alert(today.getDate()+'/'+(today.getMonth()+1)+'/'+today.getFullYear());
}

The first alert box returns 1-12-2002 and the second 1-10-2002.
As you can see the first date is off by one..... If I initialize the date to another date say 2002-07-30, the problem goes away.
Hum... My head hursts..... What others bugs should I be on the lookout on IE?
V

boywonder
08-01-2002, 03:21 AM
Your original date is july 31...
you set the month to november, but since there's no November 31, it rolls to December 1. (1-12-2002)
Then you set that date's month to October so it returns 1-10-2002.

BrainJar
08-01-2002, 05:04 PM
That's how the Date object is designed to work.

You might find this article useful: http://www.brainjar.com/js/calendar/. It explains how you can add custom methods to the Date object to add or subtract days, months and years.

Vermelh0
08-01-2002, 10:25 PM
Oh, I see...
That logic seems counterintuitive though... I understand that happening with days. For instance, if you're on the first, and your set the the number of days to +32, then I would expect a rollover. But to do that on the months seems... wrong...
Ok, thanks alot for your help...
I was panicking for a while there... :)
V

Roy Sinclair
08-01-2002, 10:52 PM
Originally posted by Vermelh0
Oh, I see...
That logic seems counterintuitive though... I understand that happening with days. For instance, if you're on the first, and your set the the number of days to +32, then I would expect a rollover. But to do that on the months seems... wrong...
Ok, thanks alot for your help...
I was panicking for a while there... :)
V

Think of it this way, the date field will always contain a valid date. Setting one part of the date field to something that would cause another part to be invalid will cause the invalid part to be "adjusted".

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum