View Full Version : expression() - the good, the bad and the ugly

brothercake
12-17-2003, 09:55 PM
The good - expression() can, contrary to what I've said before, be used to simulate position:fixed in IE - http://www.svendtofte.com/code/max_width_in_ie/position_fixed_ie.html - still doesn't work for complex groups of elements, like a list, but appears to work for single elements.

The bad - it is of course IE proprietary junk, and highly dubious to have scripting element inside CSS. But not such a biggy if you can still turn off scripting to be safe .. except ...

The ugly - expression() still works when Javascript is disabled in IE :( I'm horrifed quite frankly - this is an expliot which could be used to nefarious ends. And if SysAdmins start filtering out CSS as well ... well what, are we going to go back to using tables for layout?

The only good thing I can see coming from that is that people stop using in IE in droves; we can be sure MS won't fix it. And no way am I going back to tag soup - if Admins filter out CSS then I start treating IE like Netscape 4.

liorean
12-17-2003, 11:29 PM
That's not the only way to include scripts that gets parsed in HTML with scripting turned off, neither in iew nor in moz. Have you tried setting a javascript background-image url in moz, or a behavior/binding that includes global scripts? There's other ways as well, you can use the link tag to include scripts that ie executes despite scripts being dissabled, for instance.

Caffeine
01-14-2004, 12:47 PM
you can use the link tag to include scripts that ie executes despite scripts being dissabled, for instance.

Could you give an example of this, if it's still true.

I've googled but came up with nothing!

brothercake
01-14-2004, 05:28 PM
No offense mate, but this is not something I want to propagate. I'm sure your interest is innocent, but all the same.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum