View Full Version : Use Dictionary Object or Database?

12-13-2003, 05:28 AM

I need to build a web-based application (ASP) that is similar to a dictionary. A user types in many words (range from 1 to serveral hundreds) and then I need to find out (one by one) whether these words exit in my database.

The words are already stored in SQL Server and my question is whether I should:

1. use a SQL statement to retrieve the words one by one (eg. a 300-word input means 300 querys)

2. use a dictionary object to first retrieve all the words from SQL server and then the user query the dictionary object

I have never used the dictionary object and hence don't know whether it is a good option in my case.

12-13-2003, 09:57 AM
sorry i dont have the one stop answer fo ryou, but I would like to know why you are allowing the user to send a 300 word query to your site/db??

Is that necessary? I mean, wouldn't like 1 or 2 words be sufficient. and if they need more type those after they have received the results for the first search?

this is just theory, but let's say you have the user make their 300 word query.
you could split that into an array, then use a sub/function to build a query based on the ubound of the array and the values in it.

For i = 0 to UBound(aList)
If i = UBound(aList) Then
qry = qry & "word=""" & aList(i) & """"
qry = qry & "word=""" & aList(i) & """ OR "
End If
qry = "SELECT * FROM table WHERE " & qryI dont even know if this would work. its not tested i just drafted it up at time of posting.

i don tknow. i was just throwing out an idea. could you tell more about this dictionary thing you're making. I dont quite get what its for. or doing.

12-15-2003, 04:01 AM
StrInput = "words|separated|by|a|delimiter"
ArrInput = Split(StrInput, "|")
SQLString = "SELECT * FROM TableName WHERE Word IN ('" & Join(ArrInput, "' , '") & "')"(Note that there are single and double quotes in there, and that the delimiter could just as easily be a space)

I'm sure you can figure out how to use it! ;)