View Full Version : Running a java program as an application

Grant Palin
12-09-2003, 09:38 PM
I know you can run a java application from a webpage the same as you would for an applet. What do you have to do to get it to work? I can get an applet to work, but not an application.

For example, when I try to run an application, it doesn't load. The status bar at the bottom says "Applet Lab01/Lab1Demo notinited". If it means it needs an init method, it's in the program. And the program runs fine if I just execute it, not through a webpage.

Any suggestions?

<edit>I didn't phrase this very well. I have a Java program that runs fine as a standalone application, but I want to run it as an applet.</edit>

djdante97
12-11-2003, 06:48 PM
Actually, that is one of the primary differences between Java applications and applets. Applications can not run a browser, only applets can.

Grant Palin
12-11-2003, 10:39 PM
I seem to remember reading that an application can be run as an applet...isn't that right?

Spookster
12-11-2003, 11:23 PM
Originally posted by Grant Palin
I seem to remember reading that an application can be run as an applet...isn't that right?

Only if you redesign it into an applet. An applet has to be written in a certain way in order to run in a browser.

Celtboy
12-12-2003, 10:21 PM
exactly. certain methods (functions) must be implemented in the code to support rendering output to the applet.

Now, if you wanted to know how to compile a java console application into a .exe ...... ;)

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum