View Full Version : Too much intergration between MSN messenger + Hotmail

scroots
12-05-2003, 09:48 PM
Is it just me but is there now too much intergration between hotmail and msn messenger?

I think there is, as it does all sorts of stupid stuff you don't care about.

What are anyone elses views/opinions on this matter?

scroots

bcarl314
12-06-2003, 12:40 AM
Well, the fact that they keep trying to bump me off from using a 3rd party chat has pretty much stopped me from using messenger.

It seems that MS likes to integrate most of their development. Which is a good idea from a development stand point. You can reuse more code that way. However, sometimes (an MS sees this all the time) you end up comprimising security because the code your using was designed for a specific application and opens up holes in other places.

Plus you can end up with DoJ issues! ;)

me'
12-22-2003, 11:04 PM
All i know is that MSN messenger forces me to look at Hotmail with IE.

:mad:

Roy Sinclair
12-23-2003, 12:14 AM
What I hate is that everything in XP seems to start Messenger and the only way I've found to surf Messenger free is to find the executable and rename it so XP can't start it How nice of MS to make that nuisance so hard to escape.

cg9com
12-23-2003, 06:02 AM
Originally posted by Roy Sinclair
What I hate is that everything in XP seems to start Messenger and the only way I've found to surf Messenger free is to find the executable and rename it so XP can't start it

aaah thanks ill try that LOL

Celtboy
12-23-2003, 06:42 AM
i don't like the fact that if I've got AIM open, and go to add a comment on user's blog hosted by AOL, it automatically logs me in with my AIM info.

Basscyst
12-24-2003, 07:29 PM
I guess it kind of depends on if you take advantage of both. I use mesenger and hotmail for all my communications - I don't even have a real phone. So the integration is quite handy.

Basscyst

missing-score
12-25-2003, 12:02 AM
What I hate is that everything in XP seems to start Messenger and the only way I've found to surf Messenger free is to find the executable and rename it so XP can't start it How nice of MS to make that nuisance so hard to escape.

goto: Start -> Run and type "msconfig" then you can alter what runs at startup. i fink u can stop messenger +

me'
12-26-2003, 02:29 PM
Originally posted by missing-score
goto: Start -> Run and type "msconfig"Wow, great tool! Thanks!

missing-score
12-26-2003, 05:00 PM
dont thank me :)

http://www.codingforums.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30199

Roy Sinclair
12-27-2003, 08:47 PM
Originally posted by missing-score
goto: Start -> Run and type "msconfig" then you can alter what runs at startup. i fink u can stop messenger +

Nope, anything that MS wrote that accesses the internet seems to start Messenger when it starts up. There's a way to uninstall Messenger which also works but then you have to make sure the OS doesn't install it again sometime when you're not expecting it.

whackaxe
12-30-2003, 04:56 PM
also the undocumented messenger active x control in hotmail. hotmail uses it all th time to se if your contacts are online but don't even bother to tell anyone else how to use it:mad:

scroots
12-30-2003, 11:01 PM
whackaxe some examples are as good as any. Look at how they use it, save the file and all the rest of it and you can use it on your machine, and you will be able to fiddle around and see what you can do.

scroots

whackaxe
12-30-2003, 11:15 PM
yeh i know, but still its just M$ implanting things into IE and such to make thier 'experience' as smooth, userfrendly and complete as possible.

jkd
12-31-2003, 03:02 AM
Originally posted by whackaxe
also the undocumented messenger active x control in hotmail. hotmail uses it all th time to se if your contacts are online but don't even bother to tell anyone else how to use it:mad:

The scripting aspect of the control used to be fully documented on MSDN. As far as I can tell, they pulled the docs after some vulnerabilities were released. However, it isn't hard to figure out the JS equivalents from the C++ reference, and many stuff they claim are not scriptable really are :eek:. I can still read/write buddy lists, send im's, freeze it, etc.

whackaxe
12-31-2003, 12:20 PM
fair enough, but i still don't see many sites implementing it. if you look at Aim you can click someones username like aim:***
and thats simple to implement. but with msn the best you get is to leave the email. although i have seen a phpbb board where the msn button does something usefull. have to remember what one of M$'s CEO said at the antitrust trial "the internet wimm be largely expanding over the next years and we'd prefer that it be us in control"

jkd
12-31-2003, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by whackaxe
fair enough, but i still don't see many sites implementing it. if you look at Aim you can click someones username like aim:***
and thats simple to implement. but with msn the best you get is to leave the email. although i have seen a phpbb board where the msn button does something usefull. have to remember what one of M$'s CEO said at the antitrust trial "the internet wimm be largely expanding over the next years and we'd prefer that it be us in control"

See the MSN link on the contact section of my website in Internet Explorer...

whackaxe
12-31-2003, 03:51 PM
good lord, thats handy!

M@rco
01-19-2004, 12:48 PM
What I hate is that everything in XP seems to start Messenger and the only way I've found to surf Messenger free is to find the executable and rename it so XP can't start it How nice of MS to make that nuisance so hard to escape. Is this page of any help?
http://www.kellys-korner-xp.com/xp_messenger.htm

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum