View Full Version : Session - System Resources

charon
11-19-2003, 11:22 AM
Hi,

When we talk about session load the system resources, beside the mamory used, what are the others resources it means????

just wanna to know in details.....

ecnarongi
11-19-2003, 09:35 PM
well I don't know if speed would count, but bandwidth is a resource that sessions eat. if you have 30 concurrent users and you have 10 items in a session variable for each user, your visitors see a very big change in the speed in which pages load in direct result of the number of users logged into your site.

what I do is after someone logs in I only keep their username in the session variable (only). then if they request more information search the database for the record with that username (unique usernames of course).

Eskimo
11-19-2003, 09:50 PM
The amount of the preformance hit you take is driectly related to your available bandwitdth and server "mamory". The better they are, the better your preformance will always be.

I use sessions on some of my sites, that has had up to 230 active users with no noticable drop in preformance.

M@rco
11-20-2003, 03:22 AM
Originally posted by ecnarongi
what I do is after someone logs in I only keep their username in the session variable (only). then if they request more information search the database for the record with that username (unique usernames of course). NO!! Don't do that! Use the application and session collections to cache variables sensibly and you'll get HUGE speedups! Otherwise you're hitting the DB for exactly the same information every time, and incurring unneccessary DB hits, which increase Web server<>DB server bandwidth usage, and reduce performance of your web app because of the delay!

Spudhead
11-20-2003, 11:55 AM
server "mamory"

size matters, huh?

:thumbsup:

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum