View Full Version : Multiple questions dealing with frames

Ctechinfo
01-21-2013, 01:20 AM
On the main index page for the site I am using

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01 Frameset//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/frameset.dtd">

for the "sub" pages that are shown in the various frames what doc type should I use Frameset or Transitional?

Also with dealing with the "sub" pages. What is the best alternative to reload the page with the parent frame. (the sub pages have no navigation/little navigation)
The following code worked when the file extentions were .html but I cant seem to get the script to work when the page extentions are .php

<script LANGUAGE="JavaScript">
<!--
function framecheck()
{var parentframe = 'fr_index.html';

if (parent.location.href == self.location.href)
{var current = window.self.location.pathname;
window.location.replace (parentframe + '?' + current);
}
};
//-->
</script>

Thanks

felgall
01-21-2013, 01:37 AM
for the "sub" pages that are shown in the various frames what doc type should I use Frameset or Transitional?

Strict.

Also with dealing with the "sub" pages. What is the best alternative to reload the page with the parent frame. (the sub pages have no navigation/little navigation)

The best solution since you mention PHP would be to get rid of the long obsolete frames completely and incorporate the navigation into each page using a PHP include statement.

the transitional and frameset doctypes are intended to support web pages on web sites that predate the 1997 introduction of HTML 4 that have yet to finish transitioning from HTML 3.2 to HTML 4.

Ctechinfo
01-21-2013, 02:02 AM
In the grand scheme of things I am planning on xhtml/php/mysql upgrades for the site, but right now just getting the site back online with minimal tweaks.

What did exist for doc types was:

<!doctype html public "-//w3c//dtd html 4.0 transitional//en">

missing </> tags, etc

With any luck I will be able to afford to renew the host come march.

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum