View Full Version : sql table running slow in sql server

Bluemonkey
10-27-2003, 11:14 AM
i have a table called Newdata in the batadase in sql server but it run really slowlly and sometimes times out on viewing the rows its only got 717 records in it. any idea or suggestions as to y its runing slowlly?

thanks for the help

raf
10-27-2003, 11:20 AM
maybe it's because it is dyslectic --> batadase.

I think we need to see some code to answer that

Bluemonkey
10-27-2003, 11:24 AM
the error messge i get is:

[Microsft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][BDNETLIB]ConnectionRead (recv())
[Microsft][ODBC SQL Server Driver][BDNETLIB]General network error. Check your newtwork documentation.
[Microsft][ODBC SQL Server Driver]Timeout expired

Bluemonkey
10-27-2003, 11:25 AM
cheers for the help

Bluemonkey
10-27-2003, 11:27 AM
yes I am dyslexic actually, thanks for pointing it out....

raf
10-27-2003, 12:04 PM
Hey, sorry if i offended you.

Is it only his one query that times out?

Bluemonkey
10-27-2003, 12:33 PM
thats just on a simple return all rows of table from the menu option. but it gives the first few rows ok then as u scroll down it locks up so is it possiable to have a recod corrupted.?

dont worry about u didnt offend me

Caffeine
10-27-2003, 12:57 PM
If you have lots of columns and rows it could run slow, but I doubt you have *that* many.

If you have the possibility to log on to the database-machine and run the query, does it still give you this error ?

Have you checked th logfiles[event viewer] on the database-server, maybe it is badly loaded ? Any error-messages ?

raf
10-27-2003, 01:02 PM
Originally posted by Bluemonkey
thats just on a simple return all rows of table from the menu option. but it gives the first few rows ok then as u scroll down it locks up so is it possiable to have a recod corrupted.?

So some of the records are printed? So the problem appears when you process the recordset ?

Bluemonkey
10-27-2003, 01:09 PM
the program it self locks up its done it a few times but ever single time. It happens when i scroll throw the record set in the enterprise manager program

raf
10-27-2003, 01:26 PM
Strange.

If your current query is
select * from table
then change it to
select top 50 * from table order by ID
(where ID is the primary key variable (or choose any other variable))

If this goes through, then use
select top 100 * from table order by ID
and so on to pinpoint the records where it goes wrong

Bluemonkey
10-27-2003, 01:35 PM
a goo dplan ill give it a go
cheers

whammy
10-28-2003, 03:00 AM
sounds like you need more memory on your computer... lol?

Bluemonkey
10-28-2003, 08:42 AM
I recon it might be a memory thing but strange only on this table ??? I did what raf said to do and it all read it fine but it started to struggle when you scroll by holing down on the scroll bar and jumping a head. But as I said I havenít had that problem in any of my other DB's with 4000+ records but in this table it sticks and freezes the enterprise manager. Its odd

Caffeine
10-28-2003, 09:14 AM
It could be the hdd that is letting you down. I once had a hdd that had some bad sectors on it, and when I tried to open files that used those sectors, the program hang and sometimes windows crashed...

I had to format the hdd to get the bad hdd confirmed, when I ran scandisk in windows it only said it could not complete the scan, even if I ran it for hours. And of course, I could not backup my files that were on those bad sectors, because the hdd could not read them!

Bluemonkey
10-28-2003, 09:32 AM
thanks for the advice i will run some scans on my disk now to make sure

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum