View Full Version : Windows 8 not recognizing gpu chip

Cynephoba
11-02-2012, 08:39 AM
Hey guys

Installed windows 8 on a desktop computer. The computer was previously running windows 7. It has a nvidia ion graphics card in it.

Upon installing windows 8, it now displays large black lines around the edge of the monitor. It also does not recognize the gpu. I have tried updating the drivers, but because it cannot actually find the graphics card, it can not install

Any ideas?

DanInMa
11-02-2012, 05:51 PM
if you can see your desktop at all, then the OS has detected your gpu, otherwise you wouldnt see anything. it's typically a drivers issue with gpus on a new OS. I'd double check on the manufacturer site and make sure you have the latest version of drivers/software, ( if you used windows update it's never been very good at that sort of thing)

ShaneC
11-02-2012, 07:36 PM
Make sure you've downloaded the latest management software for your graphics card. Usually the type of behavior you're seeing ends up being a scaling issue (the card may be set to a default of 80% of your screen size, for example).

Cynephoba
11-03-2012, 02:12 PM
the actual OS isnt recognising the GPU though... if i go into device manager, it just comes up with "microsoft default monitor" or something like that, whereby it should have the actual GPU chipset name there..

firepages
11-11-2012, 12:01 PM
you can download direct from nVidia .. this might be the one if you have 64 bit .. http://www.nvidia.com/object/win8-win7-winvista-64bit-306.97-whql-driver.html

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum