View Full Version : Explorer or Nutscrape?

Toobad
10-22-2003, 04:51 PM
Does anyone know a good web address to determine what percentage of internet users are using what browsers?

oracleguy
10-22-2003, 04:58 PM
More relevant information would be what percentages of visistors to your site are using what browser. Depending on the type of content you offer, the stats will be different. For example, this website I'd expect a higher ammount of people using more modern browsers like Mozilla, Opera, etc. And few using IE than you would on say msnbc.com Most hosting solutions include Visitors stats so you might want to take a look at that.

The same sorta thing goes with the screen resolution most commonly used, however in this area the accepted design standard is 800x600.

SDP2006
10-22-2003, 05:06 PM
Whats nutscrape?

Roy Sinclair
10-22-2003, 09:45 PM
Originally posted by SDP2006
Whats nutscrape?

One of the nicknames for Netscape, usually applied to the V4 versions. My favorite is Netscum.

SDP2006
10-23-2003, 02:18 AM
I knew that ;) I was being sarcastic :p

DsgnrsTLZAdmin
01-16-2004, 09:43 PM
99% of my 120,000 requests have been from internet explorer over three months.

DsgnrsTLZAdmin
01-17-2004, 03:16 PM
http://www.netcraft.com/

Skyzyx
01-17-2004, 03:50 PM
Going over my logs, I'd estimate about 35-40% of my users are using Mozilla (or some derivative), 45-50% are using Internet Explorer, 5-10% are running Safari, and the rest are a jumbled mix of Opera, Konqueror, and bots.

I'd also estimate (based on my raw access logs) that 30% are Mac users (9 or X), 10% are Linux/Unix, 1% are BeOS, and the rest are Windows users.

liorean
01-17-2004, 03:57 PM
But your site is web-developer centric, so it's biased...

mindlessLemming
01-18-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by Skyzyx
Going over my logs, I'd estimate about 35-40% of my users are using Mozilla (or some derivative), 45-50% are using Internet Explorer, 5-10% are running Safari, and the rest are a jumbled mix of Opera, Konqueror, and bots.

When I access your site (or any site) via Blog Express or Feed Demon, what's that classified as?
I ask this as these readers also have in built browsers and I would like to know what engine they're using.

Andrew

me'
01-18-2004, 10:16 AM
Originally posted by mindlessLemming
When I access your site (or any site) via Blog Express or Feed Demon, what's that classified as?
I ask this as these readers also have in built browsers and I would like to know what engine they're using. Chances are they've embedded one of the existing browsers, like AOL embedded IE, so it'll get registered as that one.

mindlessLemming
01-18-2004, 11:38 AM
I figured it'ld be something like that. But what if I syndicate your rss feed via my site in php? Am I classed as a bot?
Just curious about the subject and i figure in a thread with this many superBrains posting I could get a more indepth response.
Cheers guys,
Andrew

iKwak
01-20-2004, 09:42 AM
94% IE and others were Firebird. :thumbsup:

Skyzyx
01-20-2004, 07:35 PM
Originally posted by liorean
But your site is web-developer centric, so it's biased...

I know. What I was getting at (and probably should have mentioned) was that browser usage depends on the content and purpose of the site. I have an extremely high percentage of Gecko users... because a significant chunk of the standards-compliant web design community uses Gecko browsers.

I ask this as these readers also have in built browsers and I would like to know what engine they're using.
Andrew

Originally posted by me'
Chances are they've embedded one of the existing browsers, like AOL embedded IE, so it'll get registered as that one.

Most feed readers have their own User Agent string. Sorry, I should have included RSS/Feed Readers in with the "jumbled mix of Opera, Konqueror, and bots." I don't have a very good (or any, rather) stats software, so I've just been basing this on rough estimates of my raw access logs.

I figured it'ld be something like that. But what if I syndicate your rss feed via my site in php? Am I classed as a bot?
Just curious about the subject and i figure in a thread with this many superBrains posting I could get a more indepth response.
Cheers guys,
Andrew

I know that Magpie (http://magpierss.sourceforge.net) returns a User Agent. I'm still fairly new to PHP, so I'm not entirely sure how that works. But it's the server-side scripting that pulls the feed from my site, so it won't return a UA string used by a browser.

mindlessLemming
01-20-2004, 11:43 PM
Beautiful answer Skyxyz.
Just what I was after :D

EZ Archive Ads Plugin for vBulletin Copyright 2006 Computer Help Forum